Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences >

Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Old 12-15-2007, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

My wife and I both shoot a .300 Winchester Magnum; my son shoots a .270
Old 12-15-2007, 06:13 PM

I would like to see a real poll (i.e. contact the poll people and run a poll), plus indicate factory ammo vs. handloads. I am finding it harder and harder to find certain caliber of factory ammo. Not sure ifs its based on popularity, and its being sold out, or non-popularity, and little is being made. Too bad the ammo companies wont post there sales data.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:34 AM

I have to go with the 300 Win Mag. Seen to many elk lost with the 270's
Old 12-16-2007, 02:27 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

"....Seen to many elk lost with the 270's...."
I suppose you havebeen witnesswhile a large number of hunters have had their shot opportunities on elk and "gave it their best shot."

Hmmmm.... the "270 thing"is a recurring theme voiced by mainy who have been out in the field and seen its so-so effectiveness on elk; it is an observation denied by many, though once the "qualifiying count" is restricted to those who have actually taken elk, then the denialnumbers drop significantly.... of those that remain, I wonder forhow many the 270 is the only semi-worthy stick in the closet or it is about all they can physically handle anymore, therefore it MUST be defended.

When compared to the more capable rounds, I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the 270's ability to "get the job done" effectively ANDCONSISTENTLY.

IMHO, bigger game deserve bigger tools.... theseelk ain'tBambi.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Well said, yes I have seen alot of elk lost with a 270 and so I will not use one for elk, but like you said some people cannot handle a bigger gun and that is fine people get elk all the time with 270's.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 PM

Don't take risky shots and don't lose elk. There's a lot of guys who think because they're shooting a 338 that they can take a longer shot than they should and they'll make a poor hit and lose an elk just as fast as the guy with a 270 who made a poor shot. It's all about shot placement.. yes elk are bigger but they aren't elephants. This same creed goes in the archery world, good shots kill, bad shots are a nightmare.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:07 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

270 shoots flatter than a 338WinMag and has more of a reputation as a long range rifle.... the problem is, it doesn't have the same hoohah once it arrives at the long distance destination, no great amount of hoohah even closer.

Being able to hit what you are shooting at is a given regardless of the cartridge chambering of your rifle.

Even when moving the discussion to under 200 yards, the more robust cartridges can CONSISTENTLY make kills on shot opportunities that are ill advised with a 270. Even on the "white tail pose" broadside shots, the friskier roundsjust put'em DOWN. None of this bang-elk-runs-off-without-a-flinch-nor-a-limp; no, stagger them right into the dirt on the spot. I hate tracking, especially when you have more than one tag and youget into a herd of elk and it is show time.

Bigger tools for bigger jobs.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 PM

i still love my 7mm Rem Magnum
Old 12-19-2007, 10:59 PM
Spike

I've had one shot kills of elk with a 25-06 using 120g Partitions. I had to shoot one 350 class bull 5 times with a 30-06.
The last 5 years I've used a 270 WSM shooting a 140g TSX. Again many one shot kills on elk.
And all my hunting is at long ranges.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:19 PM

Have killed 7 Elk since I started Elk hunting 9 years ago when I moved to Washington State. One of my Elk came from a guided Montana hunt I treated my Dad to and took my then 12 year old son with us both of them to get thier first Elk. My Dad took his with a .270 after he would not shoot the 300WSM I also bought him the difference in recoil was enough he couldn't stand it. Quote from the guide was to have my Dad and Son bring something they are comfurtable shooting because he would get us close enough it would not matter. So Dad got his with the 270. And dead is Dead. My son on the other hand was about 90# at the time. Soaking wet. A 308 was too uncomfurtable for him. The guide recomended a 243 with 95gr premium bullets. Gage shot his at 35yrds a nice spike. Ran less than my 4X5 or my Dad's 6X6.

I carried and if I had to pick my favorite "cartridge" it would be the 8mm Magnum. Rare breed now adays.

My other 6 Elk have all came with Muzzleloaders. 50cal. 340gr all lead bullet 120gr powder = Dead.

Quick Reply: Poll: Elk Cartridge Preferences

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.