Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 amt. of acreage needed for muleys? >

amt. of acreage needed for muleys?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

amt. of acreage needed for muleys?

Old 03-01-2006, 07:57 PM

Default amt. of acreage needed for muleys?

how much private land do most people need to hunt muleys on? I know some people hunt on public and some hunt 10s of 1000s of acres on a private ranch. i read an article in a magazine that a guy shot a muley and saw some antelope while hunting on only 200 acres in colorado and they couldnt hunt surrounding properties. is 200 acres enough in colorado if it is the only land you could hunt on?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: amt. of acreage needed for muleys?

Depends on the deer population.

I have a place that I can hunt on West of Denver that is less than 100 acres and it wouldn't be much of a problem to shoot a buck or doe nearly any time I went.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:28 PM

I'm currious why the question? Are you thinking about buying some land so you can hunt muleys?
Regardless, I would have to say that it depends on where the land is. 1 acre in downtownCheyenne will not hold near as many muleys as one acre in the middle of Medicine Bow Nat'l Forrest.
Don't mean to sound smart-allicky, but my point is it really depends on where the land is. If that "200 acres" is adjoining some prime deer habitat and it has likely features like food, water, rimrock and trees, then it will at some time hold deer. 10's of 1000's of acres is nice, but very hard to hunt. (So big!). What you would find, is that in all likelyhood, most of the deer on that big a place are concentrated in those areas like water, food, rimrock, trees.
Hard one to answer. Hope this is some help.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:47 AM

i was just wondering because im used to hearing of people hunting on thousands of acres and walking for hours looking for deer.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:10 AM

90% of game in confined to 10% of the land. Thats a rule of thumb. The trick is finding the 10% of land or get lucky and find the 10% of game on the other 90% of land. Wow does that sound convuluted.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Well the answer is a muley only needs a 3ft by 6ft section at any one time. The size of the parcel you're hunting doesn't really matter as long as the surrounding area is good and deer activity through athat parcel is fairly high. Really the only disadvantage to a smaller parcel is if the deer aren't there then you can't go after em, you gotta wait for them to come to you. Find out what the general area is like and what the deer activity is on that land and you'll have your answer.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have less than 100 acres of my own but we took seven Mule deer from it last season and could have taken many more. Its a runway from the river breaks up to the winter wheat fields. I have access to several thousand acre surronding mine.