Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Lion hunters

Old 02-09-2006, 09:43 PM

Default Lion hunters

are there any lion hunters on here that have had success this year? if so I would love to hear the story!!
Old 02-09-2006, 11:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Lion hunters

One of the Fish and Game Department personnel called me the other day and said some people were having problems with alion hanging around a group of rural homes. I called one of the concerned people and was informed that the lion was seen watching a little girl through a sliding glass door from their deck. Also informed me that the cat had killed and ate one of theresidents golden retriever, wich made me a little nervous, but figured I'd keep the dogs on a lead and follow the track untill I jumped the cat. Then turn the dogs loose and try to stay close enough to help pressure the cat to tree. Anyway, the morning I headed that direction we had a fresh snow making conditions perfect. I skirted the ridge behind the homes finding only a two day old yearling lion track. Made my way down to the houses and the first thing I saw was the golden retreiver that the cat was suppossed to have ate. Talked to the owner and it seems that the lion had killed a small deer behind the houses and was seen a couple times over a couple of days while it finished its meal. I felt a little releived finding out that it did not have a taste for dogs and made a big loop up under the timber on the house side of the ridge without finding any sign. I finally started back around the ridge on the far side away from the houses and found where I had pushed the cat out of the timber and the lion was headed into the Snake River Canyon in about a foot of snow. I turned my two walkers loose, Dash and Elvis, and they made pretty quick work of treeing the lion about 3/4 mile down the canyon. It was a yearling, maybe 60 lbs. and I chose to let it go after wacking it with a couple snowballs. I contacted the concerned people and told them I ran the cat off, informed them that if it returned I'd dispatch it the next time. Talked with a couple cowboys a few days later and they informed me that they had seen the yearlings tracks at the snowline on the Snake River side, so hopefully it will stay there.