Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

PA Mt. Lion

Old 11-17-2004, 03:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default PA Mt. Lion

About this mountain lion thing... This spring, a mountain lion was killed 10 miles east of Uniontown, PA on Route 40, near the Stone House Restaurant. The cat was trying to kill a baby llama, when it was fatally kicked by the mother llama. Llama owner calls police, and PGC arrive to picked it up and proceed to tell landowner that it (the lion) was a released pet. The baby llama was mortally injured as well.

Sometime earlier, I saw a trailcam photo of a mountain lion allegedly taken within a mile of the scene. I blew it off as an assinine hoax.

I heard a rumor that PGC noted that the cat was nursing, and used a portable bear trap to catch the cubs which were denned nearby. The cubs were relocated to the Woodlands Zoo, and now reside there as cute little exhibits. Rumor also has it that the animal had been declawed.

The llama owner is a coworker of my sister's, and was traumatized at the loss of her pet. Neither she nor her husband are hunters, so they have no reason to fib.

I used to get a bang out of the crazy mountain lion claims, now I'm not so sure.

Also: No word on how this thing got to be pregnant.

Doubters can feel free to call PGC's SWPA branch at Ligonier, PA or the Woodlands Zoo in Farmington, PA for info.

I did not personally see the animal, nor did I hear first hand this tale from any of the parties involved. My sister heard the first-hand version, and I am simply relaying second and third-hand information to anyone of interest.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:02 PM

Default RE: PA Mt. Lion

I have 3 pictures of a Mt. Lion that was on this persons porch from Freeland Pa. The PGC told them not to tell anyone about it. I will try and post them later when i get them back tonight. They are photo copies of the original.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen them in Maryland, Fredrick Watershed right outside Camp David. Most notable about them they are darker than their western brothers and sisters.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:10 PM

I would love to see those pictures ...visit my site www.Trackincats.com sorry to hear about the LLamas.....beware the cats will return
ORIGINAL: Pugsley

I have 3 pictures of a Mt. Lion that was on this persons porch from Freeland Pa. The PGC told them not to tell anyone about it. I will try and post them later when i get them back tonight. They are photo copies of the original.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:21 AM

wrong post

[:@]
Old 11-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hope i see one
Old 12-01-2004, 02:51 PM

If your lucky enough to safely chance upon one it will go something like this. keeping in mind your probably alone when it does happen. your comments and actions as follows.

who the heck lets their lab run out here........this my land da*n it.

what.......rubs eyes.........that no lab.........

rubs eyes again followed by couple blinks making sure eyes are clear.........looks like a cat. blink blink blink

bah too big for a kitty........ THAT AINT NO KITTY BUT SURE IS CAT.

nope that aint a kitty

bobs head to better view and triangulate

awe starts to overwhelm being everyone says they aren't here weren't here for hundred years aren't supposed to be here and yo ar eNOT seeing it with your own eyes.

as the realization overcomes you of what you're really looking at, right about then it see's you and hopefully for you it does what most do and splits in a full on sprint.

the whole encounter probably taking about 10 seconds.

took me about 3 to 4 monthes to come to terms of what I saw on my 1st and in all honesty for whatever reason could not accept it till the 2nd time it happened.

first time is .....ya right one big house cat.

second time is...... alright i'm loosing my mind.

3rd is ....... wtf

after that who cares you got cats around.