Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Woodland caribou.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Woodland caribou.

What would a good woodland caribou look like? Photos? Please.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Woodland caribou.

Tab on down to "otherareas" section on this forum. There are a couple threads there about Newfoundland caribou---photos also. I would try there. Pretty sure Newfoundland caribou are woodland.
Old 12-25-2005, 07:55 AM

Yep, your right Bob Newfoundland is the place for woodland caribou.

I don't know much about woodland caribou, just what I've seen on thenet and read in books, so I'm notsure what to expect. Do you happen to have Layne Simpsons book "Rifles and cartridges for large game"? If so on page 173 is a photo of what I "think" is a really good woodland caribou and I'd be thrilled to take you like that.
Old 12-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I don't have that book. I saw your post down at "Other Areas"----Hopefully you'll get a couple responses there. There is one photo posted there----Looks like a respectable bull IMO. Good luck on your Newfoundland adventure. It's one I would like to make. CB
Old 12-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Just do a search on google for:

woodland caribou newfoundland

You will get all kinds of links to Newfoundland big game outfitter's websites. Many of these have photo sections with some really nice pictures.

I hunt woodland caribou myself. I've seen some really nice animals but it's usually when I'm partridge hunting. When I'm actually after caribou I can never seem to hook up with the really big ones. But then again I hunt for the meat and take the first decent animalI run across.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:54 PM

Mark,

I just went up there this last October (Newfoundland) and we went 2 for 2 on nice bulls. According to the guide and owner of the lodge, it should make the B &C book. Remember, the Woodland has the smallest rack of all the caribou and it only takes i think 295 to make the book. Here is a pic. of my boo.

Brett Mattson
St.Michael,MN.

Old 12-31-2005, 12:56 PM

Mark,

I just went up there this last October (Newfoundland) and we went 2 for 2 on nice bulls. According to the guide and owner of the lodge, it should make the B &C book. Remember, the Woodland has the smallest rack of all the caribou and it only takes i think 295 to make the book. Here is a pic. of my boo.

Brett Mattson
St.Michael,MN.

Old 12-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is a caribou my father shot... He was in Canada during 9/11 and got to hunt a few extra days because they grounded the planes... He didn't mind! haha Don't get me wrong it was a tragedy that isn't what I mean... I am not sure if this is a Woodland or not, but it is a Caribou none the less?

Old 12-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think my last post was incorrect, that is not a Woodland Caribou but a QuebecLabrador... I may still be incorrect but am 95% sure it is a Quebec-Labrador...
Old 01-01-2006, 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: northman

Mark,

Brett Mattson
St.Michael,MN.

Wow! Now that is a nice woodland caribou. One of the best I've seen, I be thrilled to get one that nice. If you don't mind may I ask who you hunted with.