Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 new to virginia bear hunting >

new to virginia bear hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

new to virginia bear hunting

Old 12-03-2005, 06:50 AM

Default new to virginia bear hunting

i just moved to va about 5 months ago from alabama and have never been bear hunting before. i have killed a few deer since i have lived here and now i am ready to move onto something bigger. i found a place in the mountains that has alot of bear sign and was just wondering if anybody could give me some pointers on bear hunting technique, cal. of gun to use, whether to use a tree stand or not etc.. cause the saeson opens monday and i plan on being in the woods.

thank you
Old 12-03-2005, 07:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: new to virginia bear hunting

I shot this one with a Win. .30-30 Carbine Fed. 170gr. SoftPoint FN under 50yds.On the ground!

Old 12-03-2005, 04:23 PM

thats a nice one, hopei will be lucky enough to take one like that!!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:01 PM

My opinion best to use a treestand so you can see as much area as possible. They like to hang in the thick cover so getting above it is best. Find the bear sign and hang your stand. I would say a 270 or larger will work fine with bear. Get a good lung/heart shot and they won't go far.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:50 PM

i've never stand hunted bear so i won't be much help on this bear question, we dog hunt them down here in tn
Old 12-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tnhoundsman

i've never stand hunted bear so i won't be much help on this bear question, we dog hunt them down here in tn

10-4,good buddy!!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

If its like anything here in Pa. We cant bait or use dogs so unless you hunt with a bunch of guys that drive the woods, its very tough.
I scored this year after 10 years of bear hunting by myself. We had a extended beer season that was in the first week of deer season. All of the hunters in the woods were moving the game around. I got up high on a ledge over looking a trail and the wind was at my face blowing up. I was waiting for deer but a bear was even better. I took a 225yard double lung shot with my 300 win mag. I like 30 caliber guns using 180 grain for bear. 30-06 is a great round and it has enough punch for the long shots.
You got to hunt what ever way the wind will let you. Bear cant see well but their nose cant be fooled so be flexable the day of the hunt. Use a cover scent on all of your hunting gear. I cant stress how good their nose can be.
Find a high spot overlooking a good trail and sit and wait for other hunters to move the bear to you. Be patient and watch closely because bear moves silent through the woods. Keep your scopes lens caps off and be ready to shoot fast. They dont hang around long under hunting pressure.