Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Arrowed a West Virginia Bear Today >

Arrowed a West Virginia Bear Today

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Arrowed a West Virginia Bear Today

Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 PM

Default Arrowed a West Virginia Bear Today

Was a perfect day for bowhunting in my area of West Virginia. Snows and rains just passed through yesterday, temps in the high 30's, low 40's and clouds...

Got on stand around 2:00 pm and had chosen a stand in a staging area near some large fields, with an old over-grown (yet loaded) apple orchard in view. Had planned on taking a big fat doe for the freezer, had two shooting lanes to about 25 yards and a few others inside of that.

Around 4:30, thought I heard something, grabbed my bow and then a nice big black bear emerged to my left. Stepped right into my shooting lane and I drew back...shot....and missed about 2 inches low! The bear jumped ran a few steps and immediately turned back to where the arrow hit. Stepped right back in the same spot...gapped my pins right behind the shoulder and a perfect hit.

As it ran off I saw the arrow sticking out the side. Heard it crash through the brush and then, much to my surprise, it turned and ran RIGHT AT MY TREE!! It ran right under my stand, going full speed, and for some reason stopped about 10 yards out...put another arrow in and it ran off about 25 yards...then I heard the tell-tale moan.

Good size bear for this area, very nice coat and respectable skull...was a very tough drag, but a great day of hunting!

Have had a great season so far, and have seen some great things, a bobcat, a nice bear, a fair number of turkeys and some heavy does...I'm having too much fun!!

Old 10-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Arrowed a West Virginia Bear Today

get a side veiw of it and u weigh it?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice trophy.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Pat!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

awesome trophy, congratulations
Old 10-26-2005, 08:32 PM

Nice bear. I would love to try that someday, maybe even a griz!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:33 PM

Way to go. I'm going to go black bear hunting next year in Minnesota. I can't wait!
Old 10-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

way to go . bet youre pumped

. I'm in WV and would love to see one. Just not a lot of thenm here in cabell county
Old 10-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrates on the bear
Old 10-27-2005, 04:57 AM

Great bear,a lot of them in WV these days. In this part of the state they are feating on cherry, still a lot of apples left on the trees and a good bit of white oak in places. I havent been able to bow hunt any but traveling for work have been able to see a lot of game.

Quick Reply: Arrowed a West Virginia Bear Today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.