November 14, 2005 — By Becky Bohrer, Associated Press BILLINGS, Mont. — Grizzly bears in areas surrounding..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Grizzly's!   Good news I hope! Now if only the **&#$(*&(#   wolves would follow! >

Grizzly's! Good news I hope! Now if only the **&#$(*&(# wolves would follow!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Grizzly's! Good news I hope! Now if only the **&#$(*&(# wolves would follow!

Old 11-14-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Grizzly's! Good news I hope! Now if only the **&#$(*&(# wolves would follow!

Long over due! Now if only we could get the wolves in the same place and allow some hunting!

November 14, 2005 — By Becky Bohrer, Associated Press
BILLINGS, Mont. — Grizzly bears in areas surrounding Yellowstone National Park would be removed from the endangered species list under a proposal to be announced next week, officials said last week.

The Interior Department and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service declined to comment on the proposal, but a congressional official and a state government official who were each informed of the announcement confirmed the government's plan. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because the proposal has not yet been made public.

Mike Volesky, a policy adviser to Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer, said an announcement on grizzly bears was planned, but he did not have details.

Federal wildlife officials estimate that more than 600 grizzly bears live in the region surrounding Yellowstone in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.

Those numbers represent a significant recovery. Only 200 or 250 grizzlies were in that region in 1975, when grizzly bears in the lower 48 states were listed under the Endangered Species Act.

If the grizzlies are removed from the list, the three states would assume management responsibilities from federal wildlife officials and have greater flexibility in dealing with bears. Stripping the bears of protection could eventually clear the way for hunting of grizzlies in that region.

If adopted, the proposal would apply only to bears outside Yellowstone and Grand Teton national parks. Bears within the parks would remain federally protected.

Once the proposal is announced, there would be a period of public comment, and it could be months before a final decision is made. A possible court battle could also delay efforts to remove federal protections.

Tom France, regional director for the National Wildlife Federation, said his organization believes removing bears from federal protection in the Yellowstone area is long overdue.

Chris Servheen, grizzly bear recovery coordinator for the Fish and Wildlife Service, said he also supported taking bears off the list.

The bear population dwindled in the West early in the last century in large part because of hunting and destruction of the animals' habitat. Some environmentalists say the bears still do not have adequate protections to ensure their long-term success.

"The agencies are in a state of denial about what's happening on the landscape," said Louisa Willcox, of the Natural Resources Defense Council.

Grizzly habitat is being threatened by development, and the bears' food sources also are at risk, she said.

Old 11-16-2005, 06:24 PM

Default RE: Grizzly's! Good news I hope! Now if only the **&#$(*&(# wolves would follow!

Done deal! Hunting to follow!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:26 PM

Default RE: Grizzly's! Good news I hope! Now if only the **&#$(*&(# wolves would follow!

Naturally there are opponents of delisting. They want to keep the control in Washington where they have more influence. Its harder for them to influence Montana's policies in the same way they influenced Maryland's bear hunt.

An observation from watching the news coverage of this event. A lot of the bear footage seemed to be of cute little bears playing or bigger bears rolling/frolicking in the meadows. Seemed a coincidence that it was more likely to be a cute picture when the word "hunting" was being mentioned.

I'm not anti-bear, but I am anti-stilted media.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:05 PM

Unfortunately, people back east don't see what imbalance can occur in nature when men starts medling with the "natural balance" of things. Not only has the wolf population started desimating the Yellowstone elk population, but there is documented proof (video) of wolves running grizzly's off. TOO MUCH COMPETITION!?
I personally think that one solution would be to take some of those wolves AND grizzly's and release them into Central Park! Certainly would reduce the muggings and crime.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is good news. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Oh boy... here we go again.