Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Just curious

Old 10-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Just curious

Just read a post that kept referring to weekend warriors like they are a bad thing....what is that? Some guy who has a job and can only hunt weekends? Out West here, that has always been how our National Guard was referred to, course now most of them are gone because they have been sent to war.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Just curious

Racowboy,

Weekends warriors are just as you decsribed local working people who can only hunt the weekends. They don't have an effect on my hunting. Must people that are bothered by them are hunting to close to the road.

Old 10-06-2005, 10:10 AM

Hunting to close to the road is a relative term. Many people hunt close to the road because it is the responsible thing to do. When I go out I factor in how I am going to get the animal out. Too many people drop elk in a place they can't get the animal out. It's not enough to say you can get the animal out on your back, you also have to factor in your time. When I'm hunting elk and I have committments the next day, I have to factor that into my hunt, and make sure I can get the animal out quickly. Many of the weekend warriors hunt close to the road, not because their lazy, but because the understand the importance of being able to pull out game. I am fortunate in that I can often hunt many times through the week and take weeks off at a time to recover animals, but others don't have that luxury. Having said all that, I do think the majority of people hunt close to the road because they are indeed to lazy to hike, but not all people. The real problem people have with weekend warriors is their over all lack of effort, driving around bugling down canyons, improper setups because they haven't taking the time to scout an area out etc. I have actually encountered people sighting their weapons in during season in the woods! However, this isn't true of all weekend warriors, just some of them.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Muley, why are you taking several weeks to recover an animal? Don't they stink?
Old 10-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Quit your jobs and hunt .Or get self employed thats what I did.Huntin season came out came the closed sign.dont live like a king and trying to keep up with the neighbors.Live in a shack and save your money.No stupid girlie vactions and put the whole family to work 9 months of the year
Old 10-06-2005, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: racowboy

Muley, why are you taking several weeks to recover an animal? Don't they stink?
LOL, yeah let me re-phrase that dribble. Ones proximity to the road while hunting often correspondes to the said individuals ability to recover and remove game with consideration to spacial and temporal constraints. (That better? )
Old 10-07-2005, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

Racowboy,
Maybe this will help explain the weekend warrior saga.
I personally have weekdays off and have very little hunting competition compared to weekends.A majorityof hunters that have weekends off have more competition. I think the term weekend warrior is use to reflect the actual methods hunters use. More competition usually can make people more aggressive while hunting. I don't believe it'smeant to be bad. Moreless just a lable.
Old 10-07-2005, 05:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Weekends warriors are just as you decsribed local working people who can only hunt the weekends. They don't have an effect on my hunting. Must people that are bothered by them are hunting to close to the road.
I think that is afair synopsis of them. However, not all folks that hunt just on weekends are weekend warriors in my opinion. The term typically has a negative connotation to it and usually also refers to hunters with little skill and little respect for their fellow hunters.....at least in my neck of the woods.