Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Burned out on Hunting.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Burned out on Hunting.

I am not sure what happened to me? I have fallen out of love with the sport of hunting. Does not matter if it is upland birds, archery or rifle hunting. I have killed many elk, mule deer, whitetail, antelope & black bear.
I have family & friends that want to hunt with me. This is not helping my burned out feelings towards the sport?
I am not sure what to do? I will take my wife out for 5-days ofelk hunting . I will then take my father out for 2-days ofdeer hunting.
I am only taking them because they need my help after they pull the trigger.
After that I might take some time & hunt bymyself for elk???
I will more than likely just clean my rifle & hang it up for a few years.

Old 09-30-2005, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Burned out on Hunting.

Say it aint soI think I would lose my lust for women before I lose interest in hunting
Old 09-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Spike

Has anything changed in your life? Maybe it's depression.....
Old 09-30-2005, 01:23 PM
Spike

It seems to me as though you might be a little depressed at the fact that you are always having to take others and never getting time to yourself. Part of what's great about hunting is going out there and getting some time to relax and collect your thoughts. Not to mention the thrill of actually harvesting an animal. If you are always having to help people out and are never getting any time to yourself then this is probably why you are losing your love for the sport. I think it's great that you go out and help out your family, but you've also got to take some time for yourself. This is true in many aspects of life.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:02 PM

Be not worried.
Help your family if you have to.
Pass on the rest of the season if you need to.
Hunt solo, if you want to.
Take a year off if you need to.

Hunting is an optional activity. Life may be making more urgent demands.
If it needs to "come back" then it will. If not, it is, by far, not the end of the world.
If you are "helping others too much" then taking a year or two off will allow you to start again with a clean slate and a style that may more suit your needs.

BTW, consider these --- no need to share the answers....
When was the last time you had an absolutely 10+ hunting season.... why was this so?
If you've recently had a "so-so, ho-hum, take it or leave it, eh---no big deal---hardly worth the trouble" hunting season.... why was this so?

Is there any possiblity that after all these years bagging the "same stuff" that you may actually need LESS quantity ofhunting, but need to pursue new game of ahigher caliber? Just a thought.

Again, not to worry.... if it needs to come back, thenit will.... otherwise life holds plenty of wonders!
You're alive and healthy in this century, in this country.... life is good, enjoy it --- whatever that means.
======================

OR

Have you taken too many recoil shots to the skull from that 375RUM?

Old 09-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

May I ask how old are you ? If it dont afend you.

My father had done the same thing I cant understand it .

Maybe a new game animal in a diffrent place new adventures always spark the soul!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:59 PM

Wk, I hear ya. To a degree I've reached that point with deer, specifically whitetail. I could have a nice buck 10 yards broadside and I would let him pass. Much of my hunting is done for the freezer. Elk hunting last year really burned me out. I took 6 weeks off and chased only elk and in the end, I finally broke away for two days and killed a freezer buck. This year I've elk hunted about 5 days and next week leave to eastern Montana for lopers, grouse, pheasant, waterfowl and maybe coyotes for my 8 year old who is going with me. This year I am going to enjoy more variety in my outdoor pursuits. I got away from elkin this year, and I really don't care. There are way to many people on this board who have an unhealthy obsession with hunting. I love to hunt, but family, work, and even other priorities come first. As you get older I think you start to discover there are other hobbies you might enjoy just as much. I'll bow hunt elk a few more times, but if I don't score it doesn't bother me. Hopefully I can get Montana Bob into some elk which is just as much, if not more fun, then shooting it yourself. Take the time you need to prioritize, and if hunting isn't quite in there, then so be it.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

I found this year that I actually enjoyed trying to get a couple of friends into elk than for myself. I have found that I enjoy it more when I worry less about getting an animal and just enjoy the hunt.There is more to life than hunting, though I love to do it. Some times its better to stay home and jump on the trampoline with the kids and take the wife to lunch. I used to hunt every free moment during the season. Now I go when I really WANT to go at the time. Otherwise, I don't sweat it. If I had more time, less other responsiblities, etc... I'd do more, but feel privilaged everytime out out.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Typical Buck

Wolf Killer, I know what you mean about burnout as I was there a few years ago on trout fishing and it was all I thought about along with hunting. Then I just had enough of it and didn't fish but maybe once a year for the last 4 to 5 years. I think everyone goes their own stages in life and that includes the outdoors too. As was said, there are alot of important things in life and family being at the top of the list. I'm sure it'll all work itself out for you...
Old 10-01-2005, 03:25 PM

I almost gave up hunting until I mixed it with another love and that is horses. I got rid of the ATV and the jeep and got a good horse. Made all the difference.

Quick Reply: Burned out on Hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.