Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 California Bighorn Ram Officially in the British Columbia Record Book! >

California Bighorn Ram Officially in the British Columbia Record Book!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

California Bighorn Ram Officially in the British Columbia Record Book!

Old 09-29-2005, 12:30 PM

Default RE: Smoked a California Bighorn Ram(updated)

Terrific ram! Thanks for the story. Although my wife would say that you shouldn't encourage me.GoodGrief, I want to sheep hunt so bad I can taste it. Hey, Congratulations on a awesome ram. Don't discount your ram at all. I don't care what the tape said that is a truely terrific TROPHY!
Old 09-30-2005, 09:28 PM

Thanks everyone!

Shato,

Im totally stoked over my ram....when I set out I was hoping for a monster California Ram but I think we all set our goals high. After I have had time now to settle down relax and think about what I pulled off last week, Im overwhelmed! This was one of the most physically,mentally and emotionally draining hunts I have been on. Period. I pulled the head and cape out of the freezer yesterday totake another look andhe gets bigger every time I see him. 14 3/4 inch bases and carries his weight well.
The country in that area is absolutely breathtaking and its only 30 miles from myhouse....I have never set foot in that area until my hunt...but I will be back again to shoot more photos.

We ate the tender loins and some top loin steaks........AMAZING!!!!! I can not believe how good that sheep meat tastes. For an 8 1/2 year old animal it is by far the most tender meat I have eaten including Elk and I love Elk. We could taste this slight seasoned flavour we couldnt put our finger on then it hit us...........these sheep live in the only desert in Canada....filled with sage!...the meat has a slight, delicious hint of Sage in it. The steaks were devoured by my buddies and I!Still shocked at how good it is!! One non sheep hunter buddy is now going for a ram just to fill his freezer!

Enough for now, you guys are probably tired of hearing about this saga!
Old 10-02-2005, 01:17 AM
Fork Horn

Good job HEMI,
Great story. I personally have not had the opportunity or interest to hunt RAMS. I may have to change my views if the meat is that good. I enjoy getting a great trophy while hunting, but in the end it's all about the meat! Congrats!!
Old 10-02-2005, 06:20 PM

NICE SHEEP, thanx for sharin
Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wow nice
Old 10-07-2005, 05:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congratulations. He is a beauty!
Old 10-10-2005, 02:48 PM

Went through a few photos and thought I would share some of them with those interested!

Photo is of Vasaux Creek Canyon. Location is "Dry Gulch" I had to scale down the size of the picture to upload but hope you can see the area. Pictures do not do the area justice! Just below me the cliff drops off approx. 400' spills onto some ram pastures then drops again to the creek bed.

Old 10-10-2005, 02:55 PM

My Partner for the trip spotting an area further up the canyon from Dry Gulch.

Old 10-10-2005, 03:00 PM

Myself spotting for Rams in roughly the same area. Vasaux Canyon near Dry Gulch.

Old 10-10-2005, 03:03 PM

You can see the burnt trees in this area where I took my Ram. A fire swept through 2 years ago and now the feed is deep and lush for these Sheep and other animals.

Quick Reply: California Bighorn Ram Officially in the British Columbia Record Book!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.