Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

[Deleted]

Old 09-28-2002, 07:33 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-28-2002, 08:02 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-28-2002, 02:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I want to become a hunting guide, what must I do?

Stay at a Holiday Inn Express???

Old 09-28-2002, 02:36 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-28-2002, 05:28 PM

You didn't say which species you would like to guide for, and where. There is a guide program somwwhere down around Colorado Springs that teaches all kind of skills necessary for a good guide. Everything from horse skills to people skills. Experience (and lots of it) will be your best teacher. Remember: It's very much a seasonal job, so you'll need to find something else to do with about 8 months of your year. Out West, a lot of guides are full-time cowboys or ranch hands.

"Friend of Men, Lover of Women, Purveyor of the Brutal Truth"
Old 10-13-2002, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

As a guide, outfitter and consultant, I can tell you there is a lot involved in guiding. If you want to guide in the Rockies, western Canada or Alaska you may have to learn how to pack a horse. It would also be good to know how to shoe a horse, know equine first-aid, and be able to ride. You should also know first-aid, CPR, had a gun safety certificate if you were born after 1949, be able to read a topographical map and use a compass for orienteering (triangulation), and have some survival training. I went to guide school in the 80's, but the school is no longer in existence. You should also have a good working knowledge of the animals in the area you plan to hunt, be able to read and interpret sign, and have excellent hunting skills. You also have to know how to get along with all sorts of people. It's a a tough life, with low pay, and you're only employed part of the year. You're better off getting a real job. If I didn't write articles, give seminars, sell my hunting books, design camouflage, consult on hunting products, sell hunting products through my mail order catalog, and have a wife and kids who put up with my lifestyle, I'd be in poor shape.

I run a guide school/hunting school in Minnesota, where we can teach you about whitetails, turkeys, elk, bear and ducks and geese. If nothing else we can teach you to understand the animals better, which hopefuly will make you a better hunter. I also have contacts with several outfitters who need qualified guides. If you are interested e-mail me.

T.R. Michels

Edited by - trmichels on 10/13/2002 15:04:05
Old 10-13-2002, 07:13 PM
Typical Buck

First of all, take a vow of poverty. Then, plan on never gettin' sick or retiring, 'cause there ain't a lick of benefits. Next, buy a treadmill. You gotta be able to walk like a billy goat over the worsest mountings on the planet. Next, you gotta be able to sharpen a knife good, chop firewood good, get up REAL early for weeks on end. Buy one of them lights thet go on yer bean, cause yer gonna be saddlin' hosses in freezin' weather in the dark ever mornin'. Oh yeah, you gotta be able to lift 125 lb. elk quarters by yer lonesome, 'cause fat dudes often like to sit an watch. Ifn' you can do all thet, then let me know an' I'll put you in touch with an outfitter thet needs good guides.

BJ
Old 10-14-2002, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest going to a phsciatrist if your considering on wanting to become a guide. Some of these boys have some good advise so take heed to it. The novalty of it wears off after haveing to get up before day break 7 days a week and ending who knows when depending on if one of your clients made a lousey shot., and now you gotta field dress this gut shot animal for this guy who treats you like his crap don't stick. When the season is over its time to repair and build new stands and baiting has too be kept up with too. Trust me on this one, I know I never make to much sense, but I would seriously consider becomeing a guide, they are so over worked and under paid. Also many states require you to pass an exam on becomeing a guide so I suggest that you cheque with the state you were considering, later on, BobbY
Old 10-15-2002, 06:17 AM

Dont consider it if you are not a much above average hunter yourself. There is nothing worst that getting a guide who you paid for who does not know how to pursue the game himself. Keep in mind some guys spend a lot of money to be in the presence of an expert hunter for advise, dont be a dissapointment.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:11 PM
Typical Buck

Now wait a minute Smalty. I reckin' I got 'bout as good a success rate as any, but many of my clients complain 'bout me doin' all the huntin' an' they jus' git to pull the trigger. Bein' a good guide means bein' able to fill fellers out, but also make adjustments due to physical limitations an' preferences of the client. Give me an' ol' fart with a pacemaker an' a case of altitude sickness, who wants to shoot a 350 class bull only, an' I gotta try to accomodate 'im (or make him so sick an' sore he'll shoot any good 5x5). Guidin' is 50% huntin' an' 50% customer relations. Good people skills is impotent. Mind readin' an' miracle workin' don't hurt either.

BJ

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.