Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk calling novice

Old 08-19-2005, 09:09 PM

Default Elk calling novice

Thanks to help from members of this forum, I have learned to control a diaphragm cow call on my way to & from work. I can make several types of calls.

Now I want to get a bugle tube. Am I better off witha bugle that I use with a mouth diaphragm, or one that has its' diaphragm stretched over the mouthpiece?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk calling novice

Defenitely go with the grunt tube and mouth reeds!! They're much more realistic & versatile. You'll make sounds with the mouth reeds that you would have difficulty making with an external bugle.

If you already have an external bugle just remove the tip and use it as a grunt tube!-----Good Luck / ElkNut1
Old 08-19-2005, 09:36 PM

If you can make a good bugle that makes less stuff to carry.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: elknut1
If you already have an external bugle just remove the tip and use it as a grunt tube!-----Good Luck / ElkNut1
Thanks Elknut. Is there anything magic about a bona fide elk tube thata guycouldn't duplicate with old vaccuum cleaner hose? PaRu, is that what you're talking about, or do you mean learn to bugle without a tube?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

An old vacuum cleaner tube would work just fine. Just make sure you blow the dust out first:0) It is really the same thing. Some of the vacuum cleaner tubes are a little more flexible so they may wrap around your torso a little better even. Elknut is correct.. You will get more variety in sounds with a tube and reed. I use a wiffle ball bat for hunting. I have a medium diameter bat wrapped with an ace bandage and camo cloth tape to keep it quiet when it slaps twigs. I drilled a hole at the top and bottom and ran a pice of raw hide through the holes to make a carry strap for the bat. I carry it on my back and it works just fine. The total cost of this was about 5.oo and many elk have fallen to this call. Good luck on your hunt this year and watch out, before you know it you will be peeing down your leg just like us on the first cool morning in august...............
Old 08-20-2005, 08:27 PM

Thanks crazy. I actually have a wiffle bat in my garage that needs attention.

Can't wait. I've never seen a bull closer than 150 yds. Of course, I realize making noises and knowing the language are two different things. For all I know, I might just be saying "Stay away -I have a weapon." in elk talk.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Fork Horn

Elkcrazy have you ever tried to use that black plastic hose used for pump outs. really light Inch and a half in diamiter should make a good tube!!

Al
Old 08-22-2005, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

A guide I hunted with in Idaho uses a pvc pipe, about 3 inches in diameter about 12 inches long. Works, well at least the bull I shot was fooled.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:33 AM

I would recommend elknut's videos (www.elknut.com). Do a search or two on those of us that have bought them and they are the real deal. They are great for beginner to advanced hunters/callers. Awesome stuff and worth every penny!
Old 08-22-2005, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: HuntElk4Fun

I would recommend elknut's videos (www.elknut.com). Do a search or two on those of us that have bought them and they are the real deal. They are great for beginner to advanced hunters/callers. Awesome stuff and worth every penny!
I have to disagree! Don't get Elknuts videos, I want the secrets for myself. No one else needs this information but me![8D]