Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

elk wallow?

Old 08-14-2005, 01:18 PM

Default elk wallow?

anyone ever hunt one?
is it worth setting at a wallow for most of the day? or do u hunt them in the morning? or the after noon?
anyone?
Old 08-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Spike

Default RE: elk wallow?

I usually hunt them in the afternoon. Every now and then I will set on one in the early morning if I know that the elk are still below me and working their way up. Sometimes they will pass by for a drink after grazing all night. Also if its during the rut, these areas are good randavous(sp)/meeting areas for elk to call from and hook up with other elk. Its like a strut zone for turkeys. Same concept.

A good wallow to set up on is one that is obviously being used and has several trails leading to and from it. Wallows that have only one trail going in and out are becoming harder to hunt. I really think that hunters are over hunting these areas and the elk are becoming cautious of wallows. If they can approach it from different directions and have different escape routes, they don't feel bottlenecked.

Unfortunaelty this year it doesn't look like the wallows will be to hot with activity.We had a good spring and all the creeks are flowing. I found 4 wallows in one draw this last weekend and I have never found one in it in the past. There is still snow at the top of the basin I am going to hunt.

Hope this helps!

Old 08-14-2005, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: elk wallow?

Check out theThread I just wrote this morning on "Early Idaho Elk" it's here the main page!!------------------------------------------ElkNut1