Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

ELK WALLOW OF DEATH

Old 07-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default ELK WALLOW OF DEATH

Hey folks, I found these pictures while cleaning out my files. A big bull elk dies in mud puddle. Check out the series pictures on my site. http://www.antelopeoutfitters.com/
Then click on the hunt photos page. It's amazing!
Old 07-30-2006, 06:40 PM

Default RE: ELK WALLOW OF DEATH

Wow those are some neat pics and thats just unbelieveable as to how deep that puddle was. But thats a nice rack on that bull too.Truly amazing
Old 07-30-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

that is unbelivable. I pity the elk for making that life ending decision. sucks, but it is amazing
Old 07-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had seen those photo a few years back. That hole must have sides that run nearly straight up otherwise that old boy could have got out. There could be more than one animal that met a similar fate in a hole like that.

It is interesting, I hope something was done to the wallow to prevent it from happening again...
Old 07-31-2006, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder if that isn't actually a wallow..but an old well. Seems odd for there to be a random deep hole in the middle of the woods...but then again, stranger things have been known to happen.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 AM

Hey that's me holding the big stick.

That skull is on the front of my house.

We found that bull in Sept 2000.

Sandbrew
Old 07-31-2006, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, if that's you, sandbrew, then tell us the whole story. How long had that elk been dead??? how'd you get it out?? did you "fix" the hole???

was that some little natural spring or something?? or what is your hypothesis on how a "hole" like that was formed???

pretty interesting, imo.

thanks
Old 07-31-2006, 03:26 PM

Funny I just happened to vist this site when this post showed up.....

The story goes a guy from NY state bowhunting CO in Sept 2000 found this dead bull in a wallow. He asked on another site how people thought he died. I read the post and knew the area he had hunted and emailed him for directions. I got back a few forest roads park here and hike around this way awhileto a meadow type directions. I sent them to my brother and he a buddy went looking. They found nothing but a cow elk skull the first time the went out.

They went out the next day hiked around a bit more and found the wallow and the bull. the problem was a bear had claimed the carcass and was having dinner by bobbing for elk. Unarmed my brother called me for back up and I drove up there with a buddy.The 4 of us managed to pull the elk out and snap some photos. On a whim I wondered how deep the wallow was....I'm glad I didn't step in! After 3 tries with shorter sticks I final found the one you see in the photos. I was as surprized as anyone that wallow was so deep.

There was mud splashed all over the place as the bull wallowed. The sides where nearly vertical and I think the mud was too slippery for him to climb out.The wallow was near a spring at the base of a tree and appeared natural.....just deeeeeeep!

The bull was a nice 5x6 280ish and he did not have any noticable external injuries. He had been dead nearly a month from the time the NY guy found him until we pulled him out. He really didn't smell to bad the cool water must have delayed decomposition.

I cut off the entire head with a saw and packed it back to my truck. Once at home I skinned and boiled the skull. I did find a pencil sized stick pushed deep into his nasal cavity.

Any other questions?

Sandbrew
Old 07-31-2006, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, what a story!

It is amazing you guys could find the spot just by a description. GPScoordinates I could understand. Good job.

Thanks for sharing, since I saw the photos way back when I have often wondered about that bull and how it all came about....
Old 08-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Sandbrew:
It's been a while. How are ya buddy. I see you are trying to sell a sheep hunt. it is a funny coinincidence that you see this post the day I posted it. I also saw your sheep hunt post the same day. I hope your sheep situation turns out good for you. If you would like to visit someday you can reach me through my site posted in the earlier post.

Quick Reply: ELK WALLOW OF DEATH

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.