Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

weather for Colorado

Old 08-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Default weather for Colorado

I will be leaving September 1 for the Silverton area in south eastern Colorado. I was wondering what the weather has been like? Dry? Wet? Hot? Cool? I was looking at topo maps and trying to decide a plan of atack!! At this point I was planning on sticking to the drainages that will hold water or near them (asuming that it will be warm and dry the first week of September).Any info will be appretiated.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:09 PM

Default RE: weather for Colorado

YouCAN and probably will run into every kind of weather you can think of, regardless of what the weather HAS been like. prepare for the worst, hope for the best.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Go here for road stuff: http://www.cotrip.org/

Here for more general stuff:
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/
Old 08-07-2005, 07:31 PM

Silverton is SE???

I thought Lamar and Springfield were Southeast, and I lived there for 30 years. You need some topo maps FAST!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:36 AM

Silverton is southwest. The area has received a great deal of snow this last winter and the area is alive with animals. As NVMIKE wrote, expect anything from hot, dry weather to snow. Nice thing is though the weather has been a little more consistant this year.

I would suggest looking for and then scouting near water. Especially water located on the northwest side of any dark, cool timber areas. This time of year deer and elk will be bedding in the trees waiting for the first cool evening breezes to head for water. If you do get rain while hunting, make sure your ghosting through elk area as soon as it stops.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:39 PM

My bad there Alaska. I am so sorry that I got that wrong and I do have topos. Just looking at too many areas at one time and posted east instead of west. I will proof read for ya better next time. so you won't have to wast your time posting.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the info elkman and nvmike! greatly apreciated. I have located some good areas with several streams feading down to one bigger stream. Thought I would start there and head up diferent ones till i get into elk. Thanks again!!!