Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Hunting the creek or ridge??? >

Hunting the creek or ridge???

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Hunting the creek or ridge???

Old 08-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Default Hunting the creek or ridge???

Hey guys, great site here. I've been lurking for a while and decided I would clutter the board with a few questions.

I'm planning on backpacking with a buddy about 6 to 8 miles into the Weminuche Wilderness in Southwest Colorado this October. It's the first rifle season so the weather could do anything. I was just wondering if ya'll would hunt the creek and meadows around the creek at about 9,000-9,500ft or would you start at the higher altitudes and skirt the top of the mountain or close to the top then work your way down into the dark timber? From what I have gathered the creek we plan on heading up has nice open meadows about 6 miles from the trailhead and has thick timber on each side. I have been looking at arieal photos, topo maps etc. and there appears to be severalopen meadows in the middle of the timber, would these be a good place to sit in the morning and evenings then hit the thick stuff when it warms up?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 08-03-2005, 03:35 PM

Default RE: Hunting the creek or ridge???

Kevin,
Sounds like you've done your homework, know where you are going to go, and are just wanting to get into the nitty gritty a bit....
Good for you, but just one little detail before we get started....
What are you hunting for, I assume elk, but could be any thing....

Good intro, just give us the critter and you're on your way.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Texasokie-

I've hunted the Weminuche the past two seasons and all I can offer is to make sure you are in serious shape. There's a good population of elk in the wilderness, you should have your chances.

We bowhunted, but personally if I was rifle hunting, I'd hunt the highest meadows you can find. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by that time, the muzzleloaders would've already had their season. There's a good bit of pressure in that area from muzzleloaders, so the elk may be pushed into the roughest country they can find. There was a burn there about two years ago. If you can hunt the edges of that, you'll be fine.

Hope my rambling helped somewhat....

JJ
Old 08-04-2005, 07:10 AM

Yep I'll be hunting elk. jjwillie, I was thinking about heading north from Vallecito Lake, there's several trails I could take, from the two I've been contemplating one heads up above treeline and the other skirts the creek all the way to the contiential divide. I lived in Durango for 6 years so I understand about being in shape.....you think I should quit smoking now orjust wait until I get on the mountain. LOL! The burn pretty much stopped on the West side of Vallecito lake and didn't get to far up the mountain. I've been talking to a few buddies in that area that guide and they are all hunting the burn area which made me think if I could get a little further up the valley away from everyone else that's hunting the burn area maybe the elk will be pushed up my direction. Do you guys find a nice meadow to sit on in the mornings then ease through the timber during the day? I use to hunt right outside of Durango, right across the street from my house. It was 640 acres of public school land and every year the elk would move down off the mountain aboutmuzzleloader season and completly fill that640 acre section. I killed two nice bullsand a muledeer while living there and never had to do anything more than walk down the driveway and across the street. That's changed now, it's leased to a guy that runs cattle and won't let anyone hunt it.

Sorry forthe long post and thanks for the advice.

Kevin
Old 08-04-2005, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Texasokie-

Yeah, we found some real nice meadows in the area you're talking about. Try to scout out some drainages on the east side of Sheridan Mountain or in the Jonson Creek Drainage (north of Vallecitio). Its a long hike, but should be well worth it. Let me know how you make out.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:38 PM

I would get on the ridge first, and glass SEVERAL meadows, once you've spotted elk then your plan is right on the money. Hustle down to the meadow where the elk are, if you cant get there quickly, watch them and see where they bed.if you try your stalkand find all the elk to be gone when you get there, look for the heaviest timber(from above BEFORE you start the stalk)that will stay coolest and more than likely thats where they 'llbe during the majority of the day. From there its just sneak, sneak sneak.