Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 I Need Some Tips on Hog Hunting >

I Need Some Tips on Hog Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I Need Some Tips on Hog Hunting

Old 07-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I Need Some Tips on Hog Hunting

Some friends and I are going on our first hog hunt and we could sure use some tips. I will use either an 06, 12ga wiith slugs and I also have access to a 45/70. We cannot use dogs here. These are feral hogs pushing 400 lbs I was told. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron

Old 07-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I Need Some Tips on Hog Hunting

06 will do with 180gr bullets for hogs that size.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

I would use the 06 with 165-180 gr. controlled expansion bullets for hogs up to 400 lbs. If you will be hunting thick cover then I would opt for the 45-70 using the Winchester supreme load using a 300 grain partition style bullet.
Old 07-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

duck i just have a couple of questions... will you be hunting on the ground? and is the area open or densely wooded? these situations can have different needs. if your in a treestand you don't have to worry about the animal charging you and needing a second shot(any of the guns would work). if you're on the ground you may very well want a quick second shot to finish off the animal or stop him from charging you(you may want the 12 or 45-70). if the area you're in is open and there'll be some distance between you and the animal (the 06 would be great). but it all depends on the terrain. you might take the 12 and the 06 out there and see what you're up against and then decide.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good points. One of the area we may hunt is a swamp with tall cattails(acres of this stuff), the other is a jackpine forest. Wee will be hunting on the ground and blinds. I`ve also heard that mixing corn with diesel is a good bait. Thanks again for the info.

Ron
Old 07-29-2005, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

rbduck,

I'm gonna go against everything you've heard about hog hunting and the weapon of choice. I'm 56 and have hunted hogs, starting with going with my father and then by myself as I got older. I hunt swamp land in Georgia, palmettos every where, close hunting, with some 50 to 100 yd shots on the sloughs. I have taken them, all sizes with everything from 22 magnums, 357 mags., to 30-06. My all around favorite is my old marlin 30-30 with a 125 grn hollow point bullet put out by winchester and federal. Of course this is for close shooting, and I mean close. I have shot 300 lb plus hogs between the eyes with these factory loads from 10 feet to 50 yds and they drop like a rock. I always go for a head shot, between the eyes or behind the ear. I have also shot them behind the shoulder, but you have to be aware of their shoulder pads/shields.

I've shot them with my 06, 243, 7.65 Arg., 300 Mag, etc, and always go back to the old 30-30, it will do it every time. Bullet placement, bullet placement, bullet placement.

dog1
Old 07-30-2005, 08:30 AM

i've killed hogs and seen hogs killed with numerous weponds anything fom a 243 or a 450marlin and even the 500s&w shot placement is the biggest thing get a good quartering away shot and ya shold be fine, or head shoot him.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Fork Horn

ALL THE COMMENTS HERE ARE GOOD AND SHOULD BE TAKEN TO HEART.I HUNT IN THE SWAMPS AND USUALLY ARE 25 TO 50 YARDS AWAY ON A HOG WHEN I SHOOT, USE A GUN THAT WILL PUT THEM DOWN QUICK THAT YOU CAN HANDLE . BE PREPARED TO JUMP IN A TREE, WEASR SNAKE BOOTS HIGH ONE THAT GO TO YOU KNEE IF YOU CAN ( A HOG MAY GET CLOSE AND THEY WILL KEEP YOU FROM BEING RIPPED UP). WHEN IN DOUBT UNLOAD ON HIM . A 400+ HOG CAN BE TUFF TO STOP.STRAIGHT SIDEWAYS SHOTS OR QUARTER AWAY SHOTS ARE BEST. FORGET HEAD SHOTS UNLESS ITS ON THE SIDE THE SKULL PLATE IS TOO THICK. I HAVE SEEN THEM RUN WITH 357 LOADS IN THE HEAD--GOOD HUNTING