Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need Tips On Hunting Colorado Elk >

Need Tips On Hunting Colorado Elk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need Tips On Hunting Colorado Elk

Old 07-10-2005, 01:44 PM

Default Need Tips On Hunting Colorado Elk

I hunt Elk in colorado's national forest's. I have been out there 3x, I have saw nice bulls every time but was unable to get the job done. Firsttrip shouldn't count because it was my rookie season and I didn't hunt how I would now. The last 2 trips Iwas bow hunting, With a couple of close calls at times but those 10,000 foot swirlsALWAYS GIVE YOU AWAY.My question to you guru's is this.The terrian is dark timber & meadows. I am always 2 miles in by first light but still have a hard time trying to locate Elk in the mornings. They seem to disappear when they hit the timber. It seems to me they like to bed on the north slopes that are so thick you can't get close enough to them with out spooking them. Am I looking in the right places? Or should I try to hunt the more open ridges where I can see. I can get a few bulls to bulgle in the morinings and evenings but haven't had any come running yet. It seems that when I do hear one I can't find him or get him to come in.I spend all day stalking the mountains and I see more Elk in the evenings settting meadows!This year I will be hunting with a muzzeloader incolorado. Any advice would be great. Thanks
Jason
Old 07-11-2005, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Tips On Hunting Colorado Elk

I'd guess that you've been hunting early season archery? If so, calling isn't very productive. About the time muzzleloader season starts, and later, is when calling becomes a better tactic. You are right, that when the temps are up, the elk will bed on a north slope most of the time, where its cooler. I'd suggest, if you weren't using the powder burner, to bow hunt during muzzle loader week and later. It seems that even the 1st rifle season the elk are bugling better than during early archery season!!
Early archery hunters need to find a water source, or find where the elk waa low(sp) and wait for them to come! It's a good bet that during warm weather, they will be coming and going from water each day!
Old 07-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: Need Tips On Hunting Colorado Elk

Sounds like your are experiencing what happens to everyone from time to time (LOL).

For thoughs morning hunts, try to find a saddle or some other natural travel corridor that leads from the feeding areas (meadows), to the bedding areas (north facing slopes of dark timber). These travel corridors are your best bet to catch elk moving in the morning. Usually these areas also have some good feed/browse in it, thus the elk will just wonder their way thru the area.

If you suspect that the elk are bedding on the same slope that they are are traveling up, try to find shelves or benches about 3/4 of the way up. This is usually where they will bed. If you can catch them before they get to the beds, you have a chance. However, STAY OUT of the beds!!!

In the afternoon/evenings, do the opposite. Find where they are coming out into the feeding areas and set up. Water is a really good choiceto set up on. Since you are going later in the season, they might not hit the water hole as hard, but they will hit it. If it is hidden within one of those travel corridors, check for sign. You will know if elk (especially a bull) is using it. Build a blind and set up. Throw out a couple of cow calls from time to time, just to get the attention of any elk in the area. Elk are sociable in the evening and they might converge to your location before moving out into the feeding areas. Last year I watched two 4-point bulls hang out at the edge of a meadow for three evenings in a row, just waiting for other elk to show up. As soon as another elk entered the meadow (usually cows), those two small bulls would come running and bucking out into the field.

Remeber that learning is half the fun, then putting what you learned to good use is the other half. Keep at it and it will all pay off.

Hopefully thishelps you out.

Blue Moose