Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 your best tip, for elk hunting? >

your best tip, for elk hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

your best tip, for elk hunting?

Old 07-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: your best tip, for elk hunting?

BBJ and justhuntitall make a couple of good and often overlooked points when it comes to "Hunting Tips".

First sleep/rest isvery important to a successful hunt.If your in camp with a bunch of guys who want to drink beer util 10 or 11 pm you're killin' yourself.Also you should LOAD UP on calories and vitamanswhen you can or you will be tired at the WRONG time. Protien shakes and bars are always with me on my hunts!!!!! Seriously ......would you go hike a 14teener on a hangover??????
Wind ..........MOST important!!!!!!! Don't be fooled by Scent-lock type clothing . They may help but if you think you can just walk up to an Elk and ask for directions?????? You are in for an unsuccessful hunt.
A tip I like to use is to hunt up drainages that have some running water. This will usually put the wind in your face up to about timberline also the noise from the stream will mask your noise.I have snuck up on many animals this way.
Bill