Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 your best tip, for elk hunting? >

your best tip, for elk hunting?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

your best tip, for elk hunting?

Old 07-04-2005, 06:59 PM

Default RE: your best tip, for elk hunting?

I agree being is shape will make it much more enjoyable. Also the altitude is a killer if you have never hiked at altitude it is rough.

Now for tips more dedicated to the hunting aspect, points from bad personal experiences.

1- practice shooting in the clothes you will be wearing, due to the warm temp many people practice in a short sleeve shirt. But when you get up high it could still get cold so practice in a coat. One year the weather was brutally hot, then bang a bad storm and it got cold. First light a nice 6x6 bull at 35 yards my brother in law draws back. Then SLAP!!! the string hit his coat sleeve and the arrow landed 10 yards in front of him. He never tried to shoot his bow in that coat untill that morning, we never saw that bull again.

2- practice your calling, mouth reeds are nice they wont get in the way of the shot, If you use a mouth call make sure you have a way to spit it out and still be able to draw and shoot your bow with as little movement as possible. Isawa friend of mine at full draw with a cow call in his mouth so intense on the animal he forgot it was still in his mouth. He didnt loose any teeth but his lip bled for about 2 days. And to make the matters worse he missed.

3- have fun, there is no better place to be than in elk country!
Old 07-04-2005, 09:01 PM

Not that I or anyone else minds you asking, but you should check out the top of this Big Game Hunting Forum. There's 8 pages of tips. Worth downloading.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:15 PM

thanks guys...i will check jones123.
Old 07-04-2005, 11:41 PM

Oops, sorry manboy. I just looked at the thread again. Make that three pages of tips and five pages of banter. Still good stuff, though.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of course area/game knowledge, how to communicate with the animals, practice, energy food, water, sleep, mental/physical toughness & TP are essential hunting requirements. The single most important thing with biggame hunting regardless of the quarry I have found is know the wind and use it to your favor always. Animals always leadwith their nose andthe body follows. Simply put you could have all the basis covered but give them a wiff of your pressence and she's all for not!
Old 07-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

As stated above, get in as good of shape as you can, know your area--and if you can't, then be prepared to cover alot of country (actually be prepared to cover lots of country either way!). Drink lots of water, don't be afraid to power nap a time or two during the day, rest your body when it needs it. Don't be afraid to hunt all day long if your physically up to it. While it is probably not the norm, I've still seen far more elk between 10:00 am and 5:00 pm than in the early morning and later evening together. Enjoy the experience and don't get so stressed over getting your animal that you don't appreciate the fresh air and the beauty of the country itself.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:09 PM

Patience!
Old 07-05-2005, 10:00 PM

Patience is right, when you have an elk coming in wait for your shot , don't be in a hurry to shoot. If an elk is coming in and bull\cow is broadside give a little cow call or chirp and most likely they will stop--then put that arrow in the boiler room\double lunger--they won't go far! Good Luck in the upcoming elk season...RobinHood36>>>=============<& gt;
Old 07-06-2005, 01:45 AM

best tip ?

walk, walk and walk some more, only stop when you're in fresh sign to cow call, slip around some ....... and if nothing responds ? walk, walk and walk some more

eventually, in 6-7 days of hunting like this, you WILL find a willing lovesick bull
Old 07-06-2005, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know everyone pounds on this one but you have to be aware of the wind and what is doing.
I don't worry so much about wind when I'm rifle hunting as long as it is in my face.But what a bow is in your hands it's alot harder to play the wind exsecialy if it is swirling.
I tie a small piece of sewing thread to my bow so I can see the wind.
Also follow your nose,when in thick cover or hot on the their trail,you can smell elk.
BBJ

Quick Reply: your best tip, for elk hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.