Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

How do you elk hunt?

Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 AM

Default How do you elk hunt?

Do you spot and stalk, still hunt, call, ....? I am wondering personally, how do you personally hunt elk?

I find a good area. One that I see them in or have seen them in and then I still hunt. I don't call very much or at all. I am a bowhunter.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:59 AM

Default RE: How do you elk hunt?

Well, I sneek around in the woods untill I see Elk! Usually in the thickest most remote crap you can get into. They also like steep butttes where they can take off in any direction and valleys to travel in.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Calling is the best method that I have found yet. Elknut's videos can show you the ins and outs better than I could describe here. I am sure he will post a thread on this one and try to fit everything into one typing session. If you are getting into elk hunting you will have a lifetime of learning ahead.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The way I was raised to hunt elk is you park the truck in some area YOU think elk are/or live and you walk endless hours looking for elk sign,or tracks,when you find a fresh track you follow til you find elk.

Now after a few years of doing this I realized that it would be much eaiser to get high to high spot and glass the surrounding areas with your eyes instead of with your feet.As I grew older and more independant(use of vehical)I would scout in September and October and hunt in November.At this point I already new where the elk where and I would still hunt them in their beds in the afternoon or set up and ambush them as they went to feed or water.
Now I have only bow hunted elk a few times (Imagine jump shooting elk with bow,it dosenot work,not only do you scare them out of the area you never get a shot)and this year I plan on going GUNG-HO(With buying a new bow and all the gadgets)on them.I have lots of freinds that bow hunt elk and they like to call,and locate elk and then set up and call.So I geuss I will give this a shot and see what happens.

BBJ
Old 06-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Whenever I possibly can, I stake out meadows or water holes and still hunt. I am getting to old to chase them up and down mountains.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

I try to find beding and feeding areas and try to get in front of them to and from . If you can find a natural funnel you can do well there too . Fresh sign at fence crossing has worked in the past also .

This year Iam going to give a lot of time to calling I just have to call one in and with the help of Elknuts videos I have alot more confidence.

[/align]
Old 06-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any means possible but first choice is always calling. If their not calling I will either still hunt where possible or set up on transition areas from food/water and bedding areas.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:46 PM

Depends on the season and peak of the rut. Pre-rut to peak we call to locate, then stalk into them, cow calling to sweeten the deal. Peak of the rut, we call, set up, etc. When bows get put away and the rifles come out, we spot and stalk or even do organized "pushes". Usually setting up hunters on known escape routes or saddles where the big bulls or lead cows usually take them. All of these practices are used in areas we have hunted for years and we know the habits and usual locations for the big Elk herds, etc.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:19 PM

You can't hunt them if you can't find them. First find them - then depending on season either call or work in close enough to get a shot off.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:48 AM

I just bought Elknut's four dvd set on elk calling. I hope this will give me enough information and guts to call this season.

Quick Reply: How do you elk hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.