Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bow string and accuracy??

Old 06-20-2005, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bow string and accuracy??

Roger that ELKcrazy8,I bought the same release and in the short time I've use it .......I like it. Groups are tight although I need to re sight.

Thanks
Bill
Old 06-20-2005, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

dont worry about that little 8 fps loss. speed is way overrated. i bet that bow is still shooting plenty fast enough. sometimes i wish that damn chronogragh was never invented. i have personally killed more animals with an old hoyt pro vantage eclipse than all my other bows put together, and that "speed demon" sent my full length aluminums shot at 84 pounds at a blistering 210 fps! but it was quiet, and very accurate.

worry about the accuracy, im sure you speed is fine.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM

I have to second Muleys response. Speed is way overrated. Proper draw length is way more important than 8 fps. I seen this way too often on the 3D range. Guys trying to shoot 30 inch draws to gain 10 or 15 fps. I still managed to beat them with my 28 inch draw shooting well under the majical 300 FPS. I'll take a 250 fps bow that is tuned and shoots smooth over a 310 fps thumper anyday.

I'm not a big fan of the short axle to axle bows that seem to be all the rage anymore. I like a little longer bow say 38 -40 inches axle to axle with a generous brace heighth 7-8 inches. these bows shoot smooth and are forgiving. they may not thump arrows downrange at 330 fps but they are soooo sweet to shoot. My hoyt shoots full length aluminum Easton 2214 at about 270 fps. Its plenty fast and its smooth and forgiving. Thats a good combo in my mind.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shato is right,8 fps should not be that noticible at all. Just for an example, on a 3-D range, my x count goes up with my setup shooting 283 fps as opposed to my gear that shoots 300 fps. There is a saying that I have, that fast bows will miss faster. I too would much rather have a slower more accurate bow.I like the longer ATA and longer brace height bows. There are 3 things that effect forgiveness. One is ATA, the other is brace height, and the other is speed. Get a good mix and you got a shooter. The ATA and the brace height will effect bigger guys like myself even faster. I need a longer bow with a larger brace height.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Fork Horn

Back to the bow shop today........I have shot the bow at 26" dl but it just does NOT !!! feel comfortable!! I understand the tip of nose/kisser and third knuckle concept.But it just isn't comfortable.So I went back and had the draw length set back to 27"....... adjusted my handy,new little release and........ PRESTO!!!The smaller peep is perfect! ANDmy NATURAL anchor point is back.. Didn't have time to shoot....But all is aligned and ELK BEWARE!!!!
BTW, huntnmuleys..........Funny you should mention that damn chronogragh.....Just busted out the new one over the wk'nd. Handy little gadget. I was alittle depressed when I was only getting 218 fps. @ 57#s But yor post set some ease in me .....Thanks.

Bill