Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Have Your Tried the Nosler AccuBond? >

Have Your Tried the Nosler AccuBond?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Have Your Tried the Nosler AccuBond?

Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Have Your Tried the Nosler AccuBond?

I love Nosler's AccuBond, which I believe is a one of the best all-around bullets there are to choose from.

For starters, the AccuBond is a Ballistic Efficient round with an aerodynamic BC of .509 - enabling more downrange energy on target.

Example:

When comparing a bullet's energy in a 30-06 versus a 300 Win Mag, if you put a premium 180-gr. Nosler AccuBond bullet in a 30-06 at 2,750 fps MV and compare it to a plain jane Winchester 180-gr. Power Point in a 300 Win Mag at 2,960 fps MV, the 30-06 AccuBond will have an amazing 104 ft. lbs more energy at 300 yards: that's right - 2,005 versus 2,001 (Source: Winchester's 2005 Ammo Catalog, p. 10 - 13).

So you see the 180-gr. AccuBond with a BC of .509 easily makes up for and surpasses the 210 fps velocity advantage the 180-gr. Power Point had because of its much lower BC of only .349. In this case, the 30-06 180-gr. AccuBond outperforms a 300 Win Mag 180-gr. Power Point at 300 yards.

Moreover, a Nosler Technician recently reported that in comparison to the Hornady InterBond, the AccuBond not only expands more than the InterBond (providing more shock), it also penetrates more by shedding shrapnel along the way to the point where the slightly smaller bullet actually penetrates more than the larger mushroom on the InterBond.

The AccuBond's design took 4 1/2 years in the making.

I like this bullet because it provides excellent expansion and its unique ability to slowly shed weight enables it to penetrate more than the competition, so you get the best of both worlds.

http://www.nosler.com/accubond.html
Old 06-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have Your Tried the Nosler AccuBond?

I use the Nosler Accubond in my 300-win mag & my wife's 7mm-R.U.M. I have found they preform just like the Nosler Partition bullets. I like the Accubonds & I can buy them for less money han the Partitions. I am slowly switching every rifle over to Accubonds. I just need to shoot up all of my Partitions first.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:30 PM

Well I've never used the accubonds. It would stand to reason that they would be excellent rounds. I don't like the sound of shedding weight. Retained weight has always been a criteria or mine in selecting a bullet. I think the partition normally functions at approx. 85% retained mass. So I guess it sheds some weight as well. The accubond certainly appears to be a winner on paper, I'm reluctant to change more from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" standpoint more than anything else. Partitions have always served me faithfully.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have almost always used Partions when I could for hunting,and they have always done the job.
I'am interested in the accubonds also and am considering shooting them out of my 270 wsm this fall.They seem to be a winner,but I also agree with Shato it is tough to give up on a true winner like the Part.
BBJ
Old 06-21-2005, 04:47 PM

Nosler reports that on average, the Partition retains about 68% - 70% of its weight, with the AccuBond right behind averaging 66%.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:03 PM

While I'm impressed with the AccuBond and slowly switching the 30-06 over to 180-gr. rounds, I also admit it's hard to give-up on the proven Ballistic Tips for deer and Partitions for elk.

The Partition is an outstanding round as well because it's really two bullets in one.

Seems that the front part of a partition has similar bullet construction to the excellent Solid Base design and that is what I like about Nosler's Flagship round:

1. Front Portion: Ability to fragment like a Solid Base with a hammer-effect causing shock - penetrating 7" to 10"

2. Rear Portion: Ability to keep on going like a Failsafe or Barnes X.

Partition

No other bullet provides the best of both worlds, with the AccuBond being the ONLY design I know of that has similar results (to the Partition). They sure must have done some tweaking and fine-tuning during the 4 1/2 years of research and development.

AccuBond

http://www.nosler.com/partition.html
Old 06-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am really wanting to give tha accubonds a try in the near future. Mainly for the bonding of the core to the jacket and the exterior ballistics.

However, having said that if one wanted a bonded bullet such as the accubond and the partition all rolled into one then there are two bullets already available....... The Swift A-frame and the Trophy bonded bear claw. Both will retain 85 - 95% of their weight and are either have seaperated cores or a solid rear portion to prevent over expansion and lost weight.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used 160 gr Accubonds to shoot a bull moose last fall with my 7mm rem mag. He dropped in his tracks ( clipped the bottom of the spine ) and my finishing shot to his neck from 6 ft totally shed its core. I will be going back to partitions for my next moose.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

Accubonds.........Love'em!!!! Have shot most of the Premium bullets and the Accubonds (at least in my rifles) are as good (structurally) as the Partion. But with the accuracy of a Silver tip.