Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Wyoming Preference Points

Old 05-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wyoming Preference Points

I just recieved notice from Wyoming that they are proposing to establish a PP system for nonresident elk, deer, and antelope. The cost of each PP however will be $40 per animal. That news was not bad, but they are proposing to raise the cost of the PP for sheep and moose from $7 to $75!! As if it's not bad enough that we pay $1500 a tag they now want $75 just to purchase a PP. Rediculous. For those of you who don't know it will take a person about 10 years to draw an excellent unit for moose in WY and even more for Sheep. Written comments will be accepted to the Wyoming Game and Fish Dept through June 17th. The address to send your comments is;

Wyoming Game and Fish Dept
Regulations
3030 Energy Lane
Suite 100
Casper,WY 82604
Old 05-20-2005, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wyoming Preference Points

10 years to get a good moose area here? i wish it were that easy

im a resident, and at least for us they havent capped the preference points yet. people have i think 10 or 11 this year (i dont have em all). that makes it realistic for a new hunter, be it just got old enough or just moved here to never draw a premium moose or sheep tag. if they dont cap the resident point system soon, it is defeating the purpose for anybody who isnt an old resident. too bad.

i agree, the prices you non residents pay here are ridiculous, and that pp price on elk and sheep is bogus. sometimes i think they are out to see i never getta hunt one of these.

i feel your pain, and im a resident.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:18 PM

The $40 and the $75 is out of line. Unless they can give you a fishing license or bird/small game in exchange. Other wise be sure to write.

As for points, I have 11 sheep,20 years of applying, and still not drawn. I honestly think they should have went with bonus points, (11 chances) instead of preference points. As it is now, I have 11, 25% of the tags are set aside for everyone, 1 point through 11, if I don't draw then I go into the pot with everyone.

I quit on moose this year, I had 7 points. No use sending in the money every year to only get a shot at the 25%, and since the moose in Wyoming are at the lowest numbers in recorded history, I gave up! I will just try every now and then for the 25% chance.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for points, I have 11 sheep,20 years of applying, and still not drawn.
And Wyoming is giving those tags out to non-residents... That shouldn't be happening. Having to draw for 20 years in your own state when non-residents are also allocating some of the tags and chances, isn't right. There's certain times when hunting should be limited to residents and residents only. A lot like elk hunting in Kansas(Even though I think that may be changing). But that is just my 2 cents, coming from a NR-WY-hunter, and everybody has that.

if they dont cap the resident point system soon, it is defeating the purpose for anybody who isnt an old resident. too bad.
Exactly, a cap needs to happen.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:04 PM

I have been passing this around at work, to friends/family and glad to see others upset. I personally know of 20+ people writing letters to the Wyo. GF Commission and would urge others to as well.

I personally think $40/$75 is outrageous, especially when you compare this to $7 for moose/sheep in the past. That's a 1000+% increase. The fact you have to send in all that cash up front to begin with and now let them keep a considerable amount of money is pathetic.

What chaps my Wyoming native hide is when you combine the pref. points with the 75/25% system (75% of tags dedicated to the point system). That forces you to buy points.

I was planning on buying all 3 new pref. points, plus continue with moose and I have 2 boys. That is $255 a year for me to just buy preference points!!!

Overall, I'm embarassed good ol' Wyoming finds that in "their best interest" they need to create a rich man's sport and discriminate by economical class.

Again, please write and bring them back to earth on this one.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

the one i dont like for the non-residents is that whole special permit, where they charge a double fee, and give better odds. that is a total ripoff, but the way it has set itself up, with the odds being so much higher with the special, they sell em every year.

total crap, but it is what their doing. thank god im a resident.

however, i do a lot of swap hunts, and this has become an issue for me on a few occasions now.

i hate it
Old 05-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

huntnmuleys, I have to agree with you about the double price "special tag" fee. It is a ripoff! But, being a non-resident and planning a spur of the moment, "dreamed about all my life", wilderness horseback elk hunt, the special tag was a perfect opportunity for me to realize this "dream" come true. The outfitter requires the special tag application to hold a spot in camp because of the ~75% draw odds. I liked the odds and it payed off for me. I hated to pay the extra fee but it is nominal compared to some of the other costs associated with this hunt. It may be years before I get the chance to hunt elk again and now with the new point system taking effect in Wyoming I believe I made the right decision to do it now instead of later. My wife wanted me to wait until next year to apply but the way things have transpired it was the right choice to do it now. How many points do you think will be required for a non-resident to draw an elk tag in the a future? It possibly could have cost me several years of applications and point fees to postpone. In 112 days I will be in the saddle! Can't wait!!
Old 05-20-2005, 05:52 PM

i like the extra fee, it's not double $492. or $892.

and it is their choice what they pay! if they want to hunt they will pay $892.00 if they want a savings acount for a few months they pay $492.00!

i do not like the increase in PP system, but when u have so many hunters in the "hunt" for a tag, i beleive something needs to happen. is this it? i am not sure i agree with that!
Old 05-20-2005, 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunter_59

In 112 days I will be in the saddle! Can't wait!!
Congrats on drawing out!!

Where will you be hunting? What guide? I know about all of them in western wyoming and have a few friends who are guides, etc.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks, I drew a Gen tag. Will be hunting with Yellowstone Outfitters in unit # 60, Thorofare. Should be a great hunt! Do you know any of his Lynn's guides?

Quick Reply: Wyoming Preference Points

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.