Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives
 Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread >

Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread

The Archives An archive of past HuntingNet Feature Articles

Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 07:54 PM

Default RE: Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

Hey guys, might be heading up to Arkansas ina couple of weeks to do some hunting. Trying to get everything cleared to go right now.
Hunting public ground or hitting a pay hunt? I won't be far from ya. Good luck bud.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ya arkansas got some good ground to hunt, good luck to both of you!
Old 04-07-2008, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Hunting some private, some public.I lived in Arkansas for a number of years. Own a little land there.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: midsouth_hunter

Hunting some private, some public.I lived in Arkansas for a number of years. Own a little land there.
sounds good! my seasons just about to start!
im pumped
anyone heading to missouri this year?
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just checking in guys. Sorry I haven't been around much, just busy with school. I'll be able to start hunting around May 10th and should have about 2 straight weeks of non-stop hunting. Good luck to the rest of you guys, I'll check in again soon.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 PM

Well guys, not much help for our team, but I took my 5 year old son out this morning for the youth season, and he scored on a good bird. It was 22 lbs, 10 1/4 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs. We set up off the edge of a food plot where theres been a lot of activity, and the tom came into the food plot and literally ran strutting over to my B-Mobile decoy and started whipping up on the deke, he took a 15 yard shot head on with a Remington 1100 youth model 20 gauge. The bird did a back flip and the death flop and was done. It was the best hunt Ive ever been on, Im still pumped. Hunt was over at 6:45 am.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

Angus74,

That is awesome. Your son is 5 years old? I was wonderingwhat a good age would beto take my son out for a hunt. Of course my wife does not want me to take him out because she thinks he is too young.It will definitely be next year then.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 PM

Yeah, hes pretty young, maybe too young in some peoples opinion, but he absolutely loves hunting and anything to do with it, and loves to shoot guns as much as anything, and is actually a pretty good shot, he has taken a couple small game animals, possum and coon, with his .22 and after some work he shoots his shotgun well too. I have taken him out turkey and deer hunting with me a several times in the last year or so, and it took lots of thought to decide if he was ready to try for himself, and I am pleased that he used what he had learned about taking his time and aiming,, His gun actually shoots a fairly small pattern at 15 yards, and I didnt want it to get that close before he shot, I was afraid he would get excited and missed, but he aimed true and made a fantastic shot, the shot was really focused on the head, and I found no pellets down in the main breast area. Id say it is totally at the discretion of the parent and the child,, The parent will know when they are ready, usually the dad before the mom,, but I have to say, my wife wanted to go along for the first time on a turkey hunt, and got to witness the entire thing! She is just as excited as us, and has decided that she may try turkey hunting after all, I have tried to get her to turkey hunt for 10 years and she has never gone. They are both hooked now.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default youth season success!

well guys, this weekend of the 12th and 13th were the missouri youth season. i couldnt get out on opening day of it, because i had a baseball game. my brother scored at 9 a.m. on saturday, on a 23 pound longbeard, but the beard was only 4 inches, we think its because of the bad winter we had, and it froze off. but i was really excited for sunday morning, but, it was 40*, cloudy, and with a light snow/sleet. heard no gobbling till about 6 a.m. and the first one we heard., we were off after him. after we crossed a lake dam, he gobbled at a crow, and we were only about 100 yards from him, but he was off the property, across a fence. so we set up on a road, hoping he would cross the fence. he gobbled his brains out, and i saw him about 60 yards up the road. he strutted and gobbled the whole way down the road after he crossed the fence. he hung up at 40 yards though, and my gun wasnt up. so when he would gobble, i would ease my gun up a little more each time. until i finally had it on the base of his neck at 43 yards. after the shot, he went down, and flopped and flopped and flopped. he also had a 5inch beard. but one of his spurs was 1.25 inches, the other was an inch and half!
it all happened around 6:30, and was one of my most exciting hunts. it was the first time my brother and i both scored in the same youth season, deer or turkey.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: youth season success!

Those are a couple of fine looking birds. Congrats to you both.

Quick Reply: Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.