HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread
Old 04-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Angus74

Default RE: Official Team 17 "Strut Stoppers" Thread

Yeah, hes pretty young, maybe too young in some peoples opinion, but he absolutely loves hunting and anything to do with it, and loves to shoot guns as much as anything, and is actually a pretty good shot, he has taken a couple small game animals, possum and coon, with his .22 and after some work he shoots his shotgun well too. I have taken him out turkey and deer hunting with me a several times in the last year or so, and it took lots of thought to decide if he was ready to try for himself, and I am pleased that he used what he had learned about taking his time and aiming,, His gun actually shoots a fairly small pattern at 15 yards, and I didnt want it to get that close before he shot, I was afraid he would get excited and missed, but he aimed true and made a fantastic shot, the shot was really focused on the head, and I found no pellets down in the main breast area. Id say it is totally at the discretion of the parent and the child,, The parent will know when they are ready, usually the dad before the mom,, but I have to say, my wife wanted to go along for the first time on a turkey hunt, and got to witness the entire thing! She is just as excited as us, and has decided that she may try turkey hunting after all, I have tried to get her to turkey hunt for 10 years and she has never gone. They are both hooked now.