Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Airgun Hunting
Air Arms TX200 6 year Review >

Air Arms TX200 6 year Review

Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

Air Arms TX200 6 year Review

Old 06-25-2023, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Air Arms TX200 6 year Review

I should have written this review last year. 🤣
My TX200 22cal at this point has been taken all over Idaho hunting.
I have used it from border to border. It has been a fantastic rifle.

At the time of this writing I have close to 10,000 rounds through it. It has scratches, dings, and dents. It also is wearing different glass since my 1 year review, and different rings.

The TX200 now has a Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope. That scope was on it for about 2500 to 3000 rounds. It has a set of 30mm BKL triple straps on it. One of The screws on the rings stripped out. I drilled them all out and added stainless steel screws with Nylock nuts. I can now tighten them far beyond what they were originally designed.
This is before

This is after

The Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 FFP scope was a solid choice for a scope.
I sighted it in for 20 yards. The Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 can be focused down to 10 yards. This is in my opinion is a requirement. At 664 FPS with 14.66 gr pellets the drop is
20 yards dead on hold.
30 yards add 1 moa elevation
40 yards add 4 moa elevation
50 yards add 8 moa elevation
60 yards add 12 moa elevation
70 yards add 17 moa elevation
80 yards add 24 moa elevation

This is the second Vortex Diamondback tactical 6-24x50 I have had on this rifle.
I was seeing a point of impact change for no reason. I discussed it with Vortex and they wanted to replace the scope.
Shortly after, the gun was broken. Yep I broke it, I was hunting ground squirrels and it would not cock. I took it home and the spring guide rod was completely worn out. This is the worn out one.

This is the New one

The old spring was compressed a bit

15 minutes later all new parts were installed and the gun was back to shooting. I put about 100 pellets through it and it was right back to 664 fps. The same as is was before it broke.
I don't believe that the scope was bad. I think it was the spring guide the whole time.

The Air Arms TX200 is unbelievably easy to rebuild. No special tools are required for the work. I had two master rebuild kits on the shelf. I didn't know when I was going to rebuild it or how I would know. Now that I know more about how it behaved. If I see a major POI change and no consistency, I would most likely disassemble the gun and look there first.

In the 5 years after my one year review I'm still convinced that the TX200 is a fantastic rifle. What don't I like about the TX200?
The weight is still at the top of the don't like list. It's heavy and wears on me while hunting. Price, well the price of a new one continues to increase. I don't see that ever coming back down.

What I do like after 6 years.
The weight. Yep the thing that I don't like is also what I do like. The weight makes this gun easier to shoot and be stable.
It's still super accurate. I have made confirmed kills out to 130 yards on small chucks. I killed 2 Chucks at 90 yards this year.
The walnut stock still looks pretty good even with all the dings and dents.
It is super easy to rebuild. A rebuild kit is about 60 dollars. That alone makes the TX200 a really good value. Shoot it until it wears out rebuild it and shoot it another 8000 rounds.
Most of the sub 300 dollar air rifles need spring compressing tools to work on them. Most are scrapped after experiencing problems instead of rebuilding.
The trigger is still the most important and impressive part of this rifle. At 11 ounces it has been the same since the first shot. An incredible trigger in an incredible rifle.

Over the last 6 years the TX200 has opened up many farms for me to hunt. Local farmers contact me to come shoot for them. All because of the rifle. Most have sensitive areas like in and around farm buildings. Under houses, and close to town. Once I get permission, most allow me to use what ever rifle I have to get the job done. I also do a lot of pigeon population control.

One question I get is how many Rock Chucks have I killed over the last 6 years? With all guns combined I have over 1900 Chucks.
Over 1200 were with the TX200. To be fair, when the young come out in the spring. I use the TX200 to clean out the pups.
Farmers are really impressed with it. They like that it's quite and in all reality, no way for pellets to ricochet far.

The TX200 is an expensive rifle. There is no doubt about that. Add to that a good quality scope and rings and the rifle is equal in price to a very nice centerfire rifle.
That said, I still believe that it's a good value. The accuracy, and ease of rebuilding were the virtues that lead me to the TX200 in the beginning. And they still are the top of my list of reasons to buy one.
The TX200 is one of the very few air rifles that is capable of being an heirloom rifle. One that is passed down from generation to generation.
Old 06-25-2023, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Wow!!! Excellent review Ron. Makes me want to buy one. Air Arms should seriously be paying you to advertise for them with that kind of success and impressive #'s.

Last edited by CalHunter; 06-25-2023 at 10:37 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-25-2023, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
Wow!!! Excellent review Ron. Makes me want to buy on. Air Arms should seriously be paying you to advertise for them with that kind of success and impressive #'s.
I love mine.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:35 PM
Spike

Ohho very nice gun and good shoot..
Old 03-26-2024, 10:36 PM
Spike

The reviewer has had a great experience with their Air Arms TX200 .22 cal rifle over the past 6 years and close to 10,000 rounds. It's become a reliable hunting companion despite its weight. The rifle is praised for its accuracy (confirmed kills out to 130 yards), easy rebuildability (no special tools are needed; master rebuild kits are available for $60), and excellent trigger. While the weight is a double-edged sword (stable but tiring to carry), the walnut stock has held up well despite scratches and dings. Overall, the reviewer considers the TX200 an expensive but worthwhile investment due to its accuracy, ease of maintenance, and heirloom potential.