Community
Airgun Hunting The Silent Killers - Discuss hunting with airguns, equipment, tactics, and everything else

whats best airgun ?

Old 11-24-2020, 08:46 AM
Spike

Stoeger XM1 Air Rifle

Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Spike

Hatsan PileDriver

Old 11-24-2020, 08:47 AM
Spike

Benjamin Marauder Semi-Automatic PCP
Old 11-24-2020, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the Gamo Magnum at Cabela's advertized 1300 FPS, my calculator says figuring 1150 FPS with a 20 grn pellet and you have 55+ FPE. It comes with a scope. $299 and change. Maybe a Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal to be had? I have no idea about the longevity of the rifle, most pellet rifles are very accurate.
I have no idea how much use yours would see, mine is occasional use. I've been looking for something powerful enough to take out a Nutria. The one I have now is a used top of the line air rifle, Feinwerkbau, accurate as heck, not really powerful enough for anything larger than a Rat IMO. Mine will put a pointed 8grn pellet through a half-inch of Pine at twenty yards. I always prefer a quick death, I hate to see an animal suffer.
The base of the skull is almost always a quick death. I've had some iffy results shooting downwards at the eye or ear.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

@ GraceNetry. SparkyD said he was looking for something under $300. All 3 of your guns are PCPs. The 2nd and 3rd rifle are over his limit. The first is under his limit but he will likely go past it once he buys a good footpump and other gear. I like your selections and didn't know you could get a PCP for $200 but SparkyD was trying to keep his costs down as he only appears to be using the airgun for raccoons in his garden.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:48 AM
Spike

Did you choose something?
Old 11-27-2020, 06:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by GraceNetry
Did you choose something?
Just got done researching all the above mentioned rifles. Dam these things get expensive! My first thought was 'who the hell has a compressor that gets them 4000+ PSI?' Then someone mentioned a foot pump. Do they make foot pumps that go up that high? My time in the calibration lab, we had a hydraulic hand pump that would get us 50K PSI, but that was hydraulic and there were a lot of safety precautions involved lol.

Anyway, any future purchases are now put on hold as I am now off work due to a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder. I will still be researching and learning from you all. Thanks
Old 11-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you go to some of the main air gun sales websites (pyramid air, airgun depot, top airgun, etc.), you can read up on various foot pumps and their reviews. You can also read the reviews for different foot pumps on Amazon, etc. With a torn rotator cuff, you wouldn't be able to operate a break barrel gun or a foot pump as both usually require a certain amount of strength through your arms and shoulders. Calling it a foot pump is actually kind of misleading as you out you feet over the feet at the bottom of the pump and push down with your entire upper body. Think of a bicycle pump where you're pumping to a pressure of 50-100 PSI and then imagine pumping an airgun to 3,000 PSI. You get the picture.

from what you posted earlier, it sounds like a break barrel with higher power (25-30 #'s) would serve your purpose and stay within your budget. If you want to buy one, now is when most of the sales ocur. Before you buy, check out reviews on several websites and ask a few google questions so you can get a good idea of what to expect for quality, power and effectiveness in killing rocky raccoon. It's just about guaranteed that somebody somewhere has tried to kill a raccon with all or at least most of the break barrel airguns you're going to consider. might as well benefit from their experience.
Old 03-27-2021, 08:43 AM
Spike

RWS Diana are the best for the money
Old 11-14-2021, 09:17 AM
Spike

Stoeger S8000 Suppressed Air Gun You should have a look at this one may be you will like it .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.