HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - hypothetical turkey situation...what do you do?
Old 04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default RE: hypothetical turkey situation...what do you do?

Let the bird tell you what he wants...it may be the silent treatment, it may be a few soft clucks, it may be you will need to get aggresive.

Each situation in the 20 years I have hunted have been different.

For instance you say he knows where you are and is on his way back with an occasional gobble. As long as he tells me he is still moving in my direction I would be silent as others have said. Make sure your gun is almost in ready position - propped up and ready to take the shot based on how close you feel his calling is tellin you where he is at.

Now do listen for hens - either with him or it may be what he is going too. That will be tough. But hear a hen and again if you can get that hen to talk to you foroget about that Tom and concentrate just on her - beacuse if she comes guess who comes along with her. If he goes silent - I would wait a good half hour......and maybe start off with the sofest call I could make......wiat a few more mintues....get a bit louder...and keep doing that until at the last moment I would cutt to force him to Gobble and tell me where he is at. But he might be right on top of you so do wait between each set of these calls. You make sure you are all eyes.....he may do an end round run on you!

But that is what i would do.

JW