HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2nd NC Gobbler with a Bow!
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Pat_Ely
Typical Buck

Default 2nd NC Gobbler with a Bow!

Got up this morning at 0430. It had finally stopped raining, only to start back up when my ride NC hunter arrived to pick me up. Well we decided to go out anyway. I set up first with a borrowed blind from NC hunter, Thanks Bud, I waited til it had gotten pretty light even though it was cloudy and still raining. I yelped three times and nothing. I yelped three more times adn Gobbbbbbbbbbbbbleeeeeeeee at 60 yards behind me and to the right. I yelped at him again and he cut me off. I waited for a for few minutes and yelped again, only to be cut off by his gobble again. I did that two more times and both times he again cut me off still on the roost though. I kept looking thru the small window in the blind towards where I had heard him. About 3 or 4 minutes after teh last gobble I saw him fly down into the field just on the other side of the fence row. I yelped to him a couple times and saw that white head peak around the end of the fence row. He then disappeared. I yelped again he again peaked around only this time half od his body came around the end of the Fence row, and again disappeared. I yelped one more time and he steppeda round the end of the fence row as if he was agitated with the hen for talking. Once he came around the end though he noticed that there was a jake with the hen that he heard. He layed his neck flat out and went into a 1/4 strutt and ran directly at the decoys. I came to full drawl once he was out of the small window. He appeared in the shooting window but was on the opposite side of the decoy knocking it around. All of a sudden he darted to the front of the decoy as if to sqaure off with it face to face showing me a broadside shot at him at 20yards. I placed the pin adn the base of the wing and released. The arrow struck with the sound of a gun shot. He rolled over onto his back and that was it. He weighed approx. 18-20lbs 1' and a 1 1/4" spurs adn a 9 1/4" beard. I will get a picture posted soon.