HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:12 AM
adams

Default RE: Too much talk about equipment & not enough talk about fitness & nutrition.

Most of my fitness comes from my other passion, Mountains. I hike on a regular basis and being able to cover 15-20 miles a day with 60+lbs on my back isn't a big deal. I'm certain that noone needs to be in the shape I'm in but in the example you give I would want to be able to walk 20miles a day for a week straight if I needed to. One thing I've learned in the hills is sometimes things go wrong. Be it a wrong turn, a slip and fall, a rolled ankle. The list goes on but bottom line is you need to be fit for the task and self reliant.

I've never been but I'm sure chasing elk @ 10,000' is strenous even on a fit body. Get out often and walk a few miles, add some weight on your back and do it regularly.

For nutrition I load carbs before I go hiking. Lots of pasta and I like to load protein while I'm working out. Chicken or turkey sandwiches loaded with meat. Avacados are great too. They are full of amino acids and will help to build mussles. Hey, if you're working out you might as well benefit from it.

Dose this mean you'll be hunting elk the year wolf killer?