HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - quiet birds
Thread: quiet birds
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 04:06 PM
tnichols

Default RE: quiet birds

Quiet is a understatement. They gobble maybe once on the roost and that's it. They are not responding to any calls. Setup in a swamp in a known travel area. I see a hen behind a blown down tree at 60 yards she moves to the other end of the tree and heads straight across in front of me at 70 yards. Then here come the rest of the crew, 10 hens in a row...crap. I just knew there had to be a Tom with that many hens. Sure enough there he is behind the pack at 70 yards. I threw every call out them he would'nt even give my decoys a look! Followed them 300 yards before I lost them. The old boy never came out of strut the whole time and I watched him for 30 minutes. The hens were covering alot of ground pretty quick. This weekend 75 degrees and sunny. I know were to setup and I am going to throw a Jake in my decoys. If he is still henned up and out of range I going to gobble at him. Maybe I can get him mad and bring him in. If not and they stay out of range I am going to bust them up. Follow the Tom and try to call him in after about an hour.