HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slug Question
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Kbrumback
Spike

Default RE: Slug Question

Gentlemen,

I apologize for all the controversy. I posted this msg and was called away for work.

After reading all the posts, I think it would would be best to provide some additional information.

Long winded version:
When I was a kid (I'm 38 now) all we had was lead shot and I don't remember it ever being a problem or any friends or family saying it was a problem for a shotgun.

Then they came out with steel or non-lead shot. All I heard was "Steel ammo could blow up your barrel" or "Don't use a full choke with steel or you'll blow the end off your barrel". All of a sudden, it seemed very important to know which ammo was safe for a shotgun.

Short version:
My question was to find out if the slugs in question were safe AND not damaging to the rifling of my barrel. If coating my barrel with lead works and means extra cleaning; that's fine, so long as I don't explode or damage the barrel.

I clean my rifles or shotguns after going to the range. Cleaning during hunting season depends on how many rounds I have fired. Also, I can afford rifled slugs or Sabots. I plan on using Sabots during deer season. Just trying to understand more about slugs.

Sorry to all for the poorly worded question.

Ken