HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - RE: What is the best way to get kinetic energy II
Old 03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Arthur P
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What is the best way to get kinetic energy II

Actually, I've not read that paper before, Olink, but I did burn a bookmark on it. Thanks! I have read Ashby's arrow lethality study that he did in Africa several times. And I'm anxious to see the results of the new study he's conducting in Australia right now. I've got a lot more respect and trust for the results of a scientific study done in the field, on real animals, over a span of several years than I do for those goofy 'tests' a bunch of people have done with a block of foam in the backyard in an afternoon.

But also it is interesting to point out that faster is more accurate, not only because of flatter trajectory but because there is a shorter dwell time while the arrow is attached to the string during acceleration.
I could argue that point till the cows come home too. That has not been my experience with the progression of compounds over the past 25 years, at all. What I've seen is the shorter, reflexed riser bows with lower brace heights and higher letoffs are far more critical of minor form flaws and make you pay dearly where accuracy is concerned. Especially on a cold, damp, windy day when you're up in a treestand and have the adrenaline pumping. It's a little tougher to execute a shot with proper form in actual hunting conditions. Far different from standing flat footed on a shooting stake, where you've got the time to double check every minor aspect of your form before releasing.