Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 RE: What is the best way to get kinetic energy II >

RE: What is the best way to get kinetic energy II

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

RE: What is the best way to get kinetic energy II

Old 03-23-2005, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is the best way to get kinetic energy II

That thread is really screwed up. I suggest for those of us who want to continue that we do it here...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:24 PM

The quickest way to get KE is to increase your speed. The quickest way to increase your speed is to make your draw length longer. If the draw length is too long you won't shoot accurately.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The quickest way to get KE is to increase your speed. The quickest way to increase your speed is to make your draw length longer. If the draw length is too long you won't shoot accurately.
How do you increase your draw length?

[There now things are working!]
Old 03-23-2005, 02:32 PM

If you shoot a loop take it off. That will gain you a quarter inch...
Old 03-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you shoot a loop take it off. That will gain you a quarter inch...
With a 30" draw 7" brace and 60 pounds initially shooting a 350 grain arrow 265 ft/sec a 1/4" increase in draw buys me only 0.6 ft/lbs KE and 0.002 slug ft/sec momentum.
Old 03-23-2005, 02:45 PM

My point exactly, increasing your draw length is usually not an option. Like was stated in the previous thread, it's obvious that a heavier arrow will increase down range KE and momentum.

I just try to find a happy medium of trajectory, arrow weight and KE/momentum and put it in the boiler room
Old 03-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

My point exactly, increasing your draw length is usually not an option. Like was stated in the previous thread, it's obvious that a heavier arrow will increase down range KE and momentum.

I just try to find a happy medium of trajectory, arrow weight and KE/momentum and put it in the boiler room
I agree completely. The discussion about KE and momentum is interesting and I enjoy talking about it but most of us are delivering plenty of energy/momentum and having more of it won't make up for poor shot placement.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sylvan, on the other thread you asked why I use pound-seconds instead of slug ft/secs. I use pound-seconds because that is the way the ballistics program I use lists it. If you want to convert my figures to slugs, be my guest. They are the same values, just a different (maybe old fashioned?) way of listing momentum values.

For those of you who don't have a clue what we're talking about: Slug - The unit of mass that is accelerated at the rate of one foot per second per second when acted on by a force of one pound weight.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use pound-seconds because that is the way the ballistics program I use lists it.
Interesting, I've never seen momentum referred to in pound/seconds. I wonder why they do that seeing that momentum = mass x velocity and the pound isn't a unit of mass and seconds aren't units of velocity. Slug ft/sec or kilogram meters/sec if you like the metric system are typically what you see in physics/mechanics. Technically what they use is incorrect. I didn't check your values but they appeared to be values that made sense as slug ft/sec. Anyway it isn't a big deal I just have never seen it.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah, eventually somebody's gonna come along and list things in Newtons and really screw us all up. [8D]

Quick Reply: RE: What is the best way to get kinetic energy II

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.