HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Another question about antlers and growing potential.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:31 AM
WindsorArcher

Default RE: Another question about antlers and growing potential.

Not from what I've seen. Last year, I still had bucks around my place with antlers in mid-April. The two biggest bucks had racks that were even bigger this year. Then again, there was corn planted in the fields around here last year, and there hadn't been any crops there in a couple of years. So, their nutrition was probably better last year than it had been for a while, which may have helped their antler growth, especially for such a short time for growth. This winter, they had dropped their racks by February.

I've read that bucks that are really stressed from the breeding season will drop their antlers sooner. I don't know, but my bucks last year that still had their racks in April were big, mature, breeding bucks. But, last year the winter was mild compared to this year. Obviously, there's a lot of different factors.

I would bet that as along as your deer get good nutrition this spring and summer that their racks should be as big as ever. I'm sure hoping that farmer around me plants again this year; maybe their racks will be even bigger this year!