HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - [Deleted]
Thread: [Deleted]
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2005, 08:34 AM
Sylvan
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Passin the Buck

I witness plenty of undisturbed deer each year and never see ratio's that support the mathmatical realities of how it should be.
tocs,
I believe what you are saying is an accurate observation. I have posted before relating to this topic that I believe it is very difficult for an individual to accurately determine what any of the 3 doe/buck ratios are. There are so many things that can cause the "what you see is not what you get" problem. The numbers are cyclic and seasonal behavioural diffences between buck and doe also complicate the issue. Generally antlered and non antlered deer do not congregate for a good share of the year. Doe are particularly reclusive during parturition. Part of the year buck tend to congregate and other times they are more loner in their habits. It's not uncommon in the late summer to see only antlered or only non-antlered deer in a field. The point I'm trying to make is that it is really tough through the observation of a single person to get a good handle on the numbers. I believe only the DEC has the resources to do it. They have access to much more data than we do. Deer/car mortality, winter survival rates, birth rates, hunting reports etc. Even the most avid hunters spend a small fraction of time in the woods realtive to the time the deer spend there.

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue about the numbers. I was just trying to point out the mathmatical realites and that it is very difficult for us as individuals to get a good handle on it all. I think we are all guilty of throwing numbers around that we don't really have a good feel for.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Looks to me from just 4 posts you will be adding to the value of our discussions here. A warning though, some of us (myself included) can be pretty obnoxious at times. I think all in all though its a pretty good bunch that loves the sport and loves to talk about it. Have fun and don't take it too serious.