Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 03-08-2005, 02:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2005, 02:21 PM

Default RE: Passin the Buck

now if u have a younster doing after his first deer and u have a shot at a nice lil one i would tell him to take it unless there are alot of deer in the area and know there will be more but if i see a lil 4pnter and tell the kid not to shoot then it might turn him off to hunting if he or she could have gotten one but were told No what do u all think would u let a youngester shoot an imature deer for there first i would

just want to see what u all would do

Old 03-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2005, 02:28 PM

Amen!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:53 PM

I'm a fellow Okie and I firmly agree with your views.

....I just wish our Wildlife Dept. would follow suit in trying to improve our deer herd instead of offering so many tags just so they can make money. There is no reason Oklahoma couldn't improve there buck herd by setting a few more restrictions on bucks killed or antler restrictions.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree to a point. Not everyone has the time requirements to invest or quality hunting land to hunt on, where they can completely give up shooting anything but 4.5 year old bucks. If you have a place where you can comfortably do that, more power to ya, but realize everyone isn't as blessed.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:58 PM

I think it is all good to pass up on lil bucks, however I don't think states should get there nose in it. If I'm on my property I should be able to kill what I want as long as it is in season. State property is different. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:25 PM

passing the younger deer is the only way to get into big mature whitetails, but like one other post said, we're not all blessed with the opportunities to do so. My small wisconsin dairy farm has just 20 acres of deer habitat to hunt from. It wasn't too long ago when you'd be lucky to see any buck at all. Then some of the older farm neighbors retired and left their homestead farms, or died and left that way, and new buyers bought them and posted the property. That left 3 and 400 acre farms, a few heavily wooded and laced with good oak ridges and pine stand, surrounded by open ag fields like my farm, with just 2 or 3 hunters shooting there. Now I'm regularly seeing bucks via overflow. Some of the bucks have gotten big, too, but very rare yet to see anything older than 41/2. I'm also dependent on those few hunting neighbors to see anything at all, for they have to walk around a bit to chase things my way. Thats why I hunt heavily during the bow season, with the deer moving more freely. But during the gun season, too, there's still plenty of other neighbors shooting anything brown. Wisconsin has alot of deer roaming around, and the DNR are liberal with the permits. I've passed up quite a few bucks already in the last couple years, but some of my others neighbors haven't. Tried to establish QDM one summer; it didn't fly, in spite the fact we are a bordering county to the famous Buffalo County, WI....proof was there what could be accomplished, but old habits die hard. I'll keep doing my part, but even I will take a nice 8 pointer, especially with a bow. To wait for the 170 class bucks in my area just isn't realistic.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:01 PM

I would love to see a study of how much land you need to actually see an improvement. I know the QDM guys will say it doesn't matter. But I know better. I practice QDM, but I rarely have 4 1/2 year old bucks running by me. I've hunted QDM areas for the past 15 years and while I have let 100's of 2 1/2 year old deer walk, I still rarely see the old age class bucks. I will usually get 1-2 opportunities a year at a 3 1/2 or older buck.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.