HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - High Country Bows?
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 02:20 PM
BGfisher
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High Country Bows?

I've had a couple guys come into my shop with them. I'm not all that impressed with the speed. The tests you saw were not shooting 5gr/lb. More like 2.5 to 3 gr/lb. The one guy is all hopped up over the bow because it shoots 318fps. This out of a bow at 29.5" draw and 60# shooting a 245gr arrow. You do the math.

Without busting his pride I can say that my SlayR, at 27" draw and 53# is shooting a 265gr arrow (IBO legal) at 299fps. At 27.5" draw it does 308fps. So let's assume for a minute that if I extended the draw on my bow 2" to 29.5". This would gain me about 24fps. This would boost things up to 332fps. Then knock 20 grains off my arrow to be like his and I get another 4-5fps. Now we're talking 337fps. Ok, now we'll bump the weight up on mine to coincide with 60#. 7 # more will net about 14fps. Gee, my bow is now shooting about 350fps. Do you see where this is going?

The HCA shot at the same specs as most other bows is no faster than others. What the difference is is that HCA will warrant the bow if you shoot such specs and blow the bow up. And a few have blown up. I've seen it. And if you or someone nearby gets hurt who is going to be responsible?

They are light in mass weight. Too light for my tastes, but that's me. I'm not saying they aren't decent bows. Just don't rad too much into advertising without realizing how the results came about.