HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Should I Purchase A Traditon Pursuit?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 AM
graveyard zombie

Default RE: Should I Purchase A Traditon Pursuit?

Had to leave early this morning for a family matter before I could finish my first reply so here I go again. I usually seem to agree with cayugad and once again I can find no reason to differ from what he says. I believe a lot of people are buying either cheaper made rifles or more expensive rifles just because they are easier to clean. Cayugad is correct when he says there are a lot of good deals on muzzleloaders now that may just take a little more effort to clean but is well worth that effort. My brother-in-law has a NEF break open 50 caliber and he likes it for the most part. I'm going to include another link for an evaluation of the NEF from Randy Wakeman, not to be confused with Randy Smith who evaluated the Pursuit Pro that I gave you the earlier link for. They both do evaluations in the black powder field and I tend to agree more with Wakeman over Smith. But once again, those are only two opinions and sometimes you just have to take your best guess and find out if you agree with them or not. The two minor complaints that Wakeman had with the NEF my brother-in-law says is right on the money. But, he feels those issues are minor and he really likes his NEF. For me, his NEF has too short of a stock for my long arms and it doesn't come to sight like I want my rifles to do. I'm also going to give you a link to a pretty good group of articles regarding muzzleloaders that both Wakeman and Smith have contributed to. There is a very good article from Wakeman regarding CVA lawsuits and Spanish barrels that you may want to read. I just picked up a Navy Arms 50 caliber ml for an extemely great price but I'm going to take caution working up a load for it only because the barrel has "made in China" on it. Navy Arms has a lot better reputation than CVA at this time so maybe they know something that I don't. The first link is for the NEF evaluation and the second link is for a lot of articles worth reading.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/nef_sidekick.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

Good luck in your decision