Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Should I Purchase A Traditon Pursuit? >

Should I Purchase A Traditon Pursuit?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Should I Purchase A Traditon Pursuit?

Old 03-08-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Should I Purchase A Traditon Pursuit?

I recently looked at a Traditon Pursuit. Look like a nice rifle. It appears it would be easy to clean.

The only thing that bothers me is the "Made In Spain." Does anyone know anything about this rifle.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 05:39 AM

Default RE: Should I Purchase A Traditon Pursuit?

There seems to be two types of the Traditions Pursuit with one being just the Pursuit and another being the Pursuit Pro. Don't know much about the difference or disadvantages between the two but I'm going to provide you with a link to an evaluation of the Pursuit Pro. Take into consideration that this is the opinion of just one writer who may or may not is being paid to provide this evaluation.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/traditions_pursuit.htm
Old 03-09-2005, 05:45 AM

I am not telling you NOT to buy the Traditions muzzleloader BUT I am telling you to shop around.
I have owned a few Traditions products(The key words are have owned) but have since sold them all. I am now an exclusive T/C guy. I know they cost more BUT the increased quality is not only perceived but felt.
My 209x50 Encore shoots as good if not better than my bolt action rifles!! My brother has the Omega and has the same results with his.
You need to buy what you can afford and feel comfortable with, but in my opinion...BUY T/C. If not for any of the reasons above how about that they are made in the greatest country in the world!!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your decision
Just my 2 cents worth
Encore28
Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 AM
bigcountry

Sure, if its what you can afford, go for it. There is a noticable quality difference between Knight and T/C. I own all three brands.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Pursuit Pro...better choice......alittle heavy.........good qualilty for the price.

I shoot Knight Wolverine .50cal.......What ever you're happy with and can afford!

About "Made IN Spain".......Hey, many shooters are using them!
If you're not sure about it, go with TC, Knight or Austin and other
better name brands,but expect to pay alot more.

Your Choice!
Old 03-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

The Tradtion's Persuit of course has the barrel issue that has been discussed I think on any muzzleloading board you read. There is the proof mark pressure stamp issue. Whether that bothers you or not is up to you.

The other thing to check on the rifle is the trigger pull. Many of them were reported to have a stiff if almost not uncomfortable trigger pull. Those that owned them found ways around it through a little homestyle gunsmith work.

The drop or break open style of the new rifles seems to be very much in demand by the modern muzzleloading buying public. Although it might make cleaning easier, I think people are over looking some excellent rifles on special right now because they are not the break open design.

For instance, if all you ever wanted to hunt was deer, there is a Knight .45 caliber Stainless Steel 26" barrel Wolverine on sale at Natchez.Com for $169.00.. I can remember the day that was a $300.00+ rifle. The Knight is a great quality proof tested solid built well backed rifle that will last you the rest of your life.

Those who like the break open design and want to save money should really look at the NEF Sidekick or H&R Huntsman. Both are break open, American Steel made solid shooting rifles. I think the Sidekick was going for around $159.00 for a .50 caliber that would do anything you ever need a muzzleloader to do.

All I am saying is the Persuit should be a good rifle. But there are other rifles out there that will be the in the same class or better for less money. If you like the Persuit then buy it.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I have a Pursuit LT (the alloy receiver model). The trigger when received was absolutely unusable. I would estimate it at about 15 pounds or better. I pulled the trigger three times and could not do it anymore as my finger was too sore to continue. I fixed it sort-of by doing my own trigger job (which is not a simple thing with this rifle). If I was in the market again I think I would look at the NEF or H&R break open rifles instead even though I do not like the plastic primer holder device.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:58 AM

Had to leave early this morning for a family matter before I could finish my first reply so here I go again. I usually seem to agree with cayugad and once again I can find no reason to differ from what he says. I believe a lot of people are buying either cheaper made rifles or more expensive rifles just because they are easier to clean. Cayugad is correct when he says there are a lot of good deals on muzzleloaders now that may just take a little more effort to clean but is well worth that effort. My brother-in-law has a NEF break open 50 caliber and he likes it for the most part. I'm going to include another link for an evaluation of the NEF from Randy Wakeman, not to be confused with Randy Smith who evaluated the Pursuit Pro that I gave you the earlier link for. They both do evaluations in the black powder field and I tend to agree more with Wakeman over Smith. But once again, those are only two opinions and sometimes you just have to take your best guess and find out if you agree with them or not. The two minor complaints that Wakeman had with the NEF my brother-in-law says is right on the money. But, he feels those issues are minor and he really likes his NEF. For me, his NEF has too short of a stock for my long arms and it doesn't come to sight like I want my rifles to do. I'm also going to give you a link to a pretty good group of articles regarding muzzleloaders that both Wakeman and Smith have contributed to. There is a very good article from Wakeman regarding CVA lawsuits and Spanish barrels that you may want to read. I just picked up a Navy Arms 50 caliber ml for an extemely great price but I'm going to take caution working up a load for it only because the barrel has "made in China" on it. Navy Arms has a lot better reputation than CVA at this time so maybe they know something that I don't. The first link is for the NEF evaluation and the second link is for a lot of articles worth reading.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/nef_sidekick.htm

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

Good luck in your decision
Old 03-09-2005, 12:16 PM
bigcountry

Well, I figured sooner or later that guy would be brought up.

Old 03-09-2005, 12:31 PM

Which guy? Wakeman or Smith? Or both?

Quick Reply: Should I Purchase A Traditon Pursuit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.