HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any Scouting Tips?
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2005, 08:24 AM
Bobgobble2
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any Scouting Tips?

I like to use a "low impact" scouting type style!Inotherwords use more of your ears and eyes than legs,particularly if you are sure birds inhabit the area already!Human intrusion period,wether it be using a call or blundering into the birds accidentally can make your birds spooky!I do more listening early morning than anything else!You can track a birds movements by using your ears instead of putting pressure on him by walking and following!Usually early season scouting your not dealing with one bird but a flock so your chances of being seen increase greatly!Bino's looking over fields,pastures,ridges are a great asset here!When I do move its usually midday when activity from the birds is a minimum,and then its a matter of reading sign looking for tracks,feathers,droppings,strutmarks,etc!Roadways, trails,creeks,ponds,field edges,mud puddles,are all places turkeys leave tracks and I never pass up without looking!If I've found a roostsite,I check it out during midday and from there after listening to the birds fly-out and calculating the gobbling activity that morning determine which direction they normally leave the roost!It may take a few scouting trips to figure it all out but this is how you come to know your land and determine a definate pattern to your birds WITHOUT disturbing there normal daily activities!Good luck......Bob