HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Whats the best gun for hunting in the mnts of vt.?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:34 AM
NHBuck

Default RE: Whats the best gun for hunting in the mnts of vt.?

Love the caliber discussions. There have been some great discussions on some great calibers. Several of the guns I own and purchased for the reasons previously stated. I have a .270 winchester with a 3x9x32. This I consider my powerline, orchard, open area rifle. It is only scope mounted with no sights on it. I have my .308 rem semi carbine with a 3x9 on top with over and under sights. My I am not sure where I am going gun. If I start out the day in thick cover I have the over under sights to use and the short carbine to carry through the thick stuff. Then if nothings happening I can sit on a power line up high and plink them at 200 yds if need be. I have my 12ga slug gun with a 1.75x4 on it for shotgun only areas. Then I have my Mossberg 500 with bird and muzzleloading barrels to round out the current hunting guns. Oh almost forgot the single shot 20 ga for the little ones as they grow into the sport.

Many great suggestions here. Word of advice don't limit yourself to powerline shooting when choosing a rifle unless you will never do anything else. I would look for an allaround rifle set up for anything Vermont has to offer. I prefer the .308 with a scope and over and under sights. Use the scope on the lines and if it is to thick or close to pick 'em up in the scope use the sights. Practice with whatever you get and make sure in the shop you spend plenty of time bringing them all up to shoulder and see which feels the most natural. >308, .270, 30-.06 7 mm. they will all do the trick for all game animals in VT.