Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Whats the best gun for hunting in the mnts of vt.? >

Whats the best gun for hunting in the mnts of vt.?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats the best gun for hunting in the mnts of vt.?

Old 02-12-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Whats the best gun for hunting in the mnts of vt.?

i am 14 6''1 210lbs and was wondering witch gun and ammo combo is the best for hunting deer in the mnts. of vermont looking at 200yrs on powerlines to as less as acouple feet? please help

Old 02-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Whats the best gun for hunting in the mnts of vt.?

My personal choice would be a .270 in a Remington 700 topped off with a decent 3x9x40 scope with see through mounts and a good set of iron sights. I don't think you could go wrong with the same gun in a 25-06 or a 30-06 either. I'm sure there are others here who's preferences are different from mine but that's just my 2 cents worth.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: WVCritterGitter

My personal choice would be a .270 in a Remington 700 topped off with a decent 3x9x40 scope with see through mounts and a good set of iron sights. I don't think you could go wrong with the same gun in a 25-06 or a 30-06 either. I'm sure there are others here who's preferences are different from mine but that's just my 2 cents worth.
Good pick.........

I use a Remington 700 ADL .270 topped with a leupold 3x9 and have shot quite a few deer with it, including some Vermont bucks. Where in VT are you located? I hunt Rutland County every year and grew up there.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:21 PM

3x might be a bit much for pickin' up them deer you said jump up at your feet, and you sure don't need 9X for 200 yard shots, so why carry the weight? A 2x7 or better yet a 1.5x5or 6 would do just fine. As for the .270 you don't need it neither anything from a .250 Savage on up will do just fine. I like the .260 cause we got bears and hogs down here and I can shoot bullets heavy enough for deep penetration, a 7mm-08 would do the same thing.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

i'd use my rem. 700 mountain rifle in 30-06 very light easy to carry.until someone has carried a rifle through the mountains all day they won't believe what difference just 1 pound can make.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

I'm a big fan of the 30.06, have shot one for over 25 years and now have a .300WSM to go with it. But if your shots won't be any farther than 200 yds or so, you really don't need something quite that big. I'd go with something like a .308 --- that way you can choose heavier bullets (like 180 gr) if you want to, it comes in short action, and the .308 is one of the most accurate cartridges ever made. And besides, I've always been partial to .30 cal.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

For light weight rifles, I have both a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle and a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker.The weight on these are about the same. The Browning actually weighs just 1 oz more if you go by the factory specs. I prefer the Browning stainless stalker. It reduces weight by using a synthetic stock, where the Remington has a trimmed up laminated stock and a thin barrel. I like the idea of cutting weight but I don't like pencil thin barrels. Don't get me wrong My Rem 700 Mt. LSS .270 is a good shooter 1.2MOA, but my Browning A-Bolt SS .30-06 weighs the same with a regular sporter barrel and is far more accurate.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:04 AM

You cant go wrong with the good old rem 7600 pump any caliber they come in currently will work fine. Thats what the Benoits use. Another good choise is the 7400 semi. My Father has the older model 742 in 308. He's had that rifle as long as I can remember never missed a season yet.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with outwesthunter, I shoot a 760 Pumpmaster in 30-06 with a 3x9 and it works great for just about any shot situation...
Old 02-13-2005, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Slamfire

3x might be a bit much for pickin' up them deer you said jump up at your feet, and you sure don't need 9X for 200 yard shots, so why carry the weight? A 2x7 or better yet a 1.5x5or 6 would do just fine. As for the .270 you don't need it neither anything from a .250 Savage on up will do just fine. I like the .260 cause we got bears and hogs down here and I can shoot bullets heavy enough for deep penetration, a 7mm-08 would do the same thing.
I also hunt PA as well every year, and often times shoot 250+ yards there. I like the topend magnification, and 3x is enough on a leupold w/ 40mm objective to easily center on running deer at 25 yards.

Anything that will kill a deer in Vermont is good honestly, get the best deal you can find around that feels right, that is most important IMHO.

Quick Reply: Whats the best gun for hunting in the mnts of vt.?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.