HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - BP guns blowing up?
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Rwalter63

Default RE: BP guns blowing up?

With 75 grains you shouldn't have a problem. This is the website that article came from and it is just one of the reasons I would buy a product manufactured from BPI.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

BPI is the company that manufactures CVA, Traditions, New Frontier and Winchester Black power guns. I also don't like there trigger pulls but thats another issue. BPI use an extruded process to form there barrells where as pretty much every other manufacturer uses a milled process.

Directly from the CVA website FAQ

Where and how are CVA barrels manufactured?

Answer: All CVA rifle, shotgun, and pistol barrels are manufactured in Spain. They are made using a cold-draw process that creates rifling, finished bore diameter, and outside dimensions in a single operation. Following the cold-draw process, the barrels are stress relieved. This process provides a smooth, concentric, accurate barrel that is free of inherent defects found in barrels made using a multi-operation process.

Here is a quote directly from Knight's web site on there barrels

Knight Rifles offers Green Mountain Rifle Barrels
- Green Mountain represents the gold standard in rifle barrel manufacturing, which is why we feature them on every Knight rifle we produce. The competition simply can't match the precise tolerances and specifications (within one ten-thousandth of an inch) assured by the Green Mountain milling process.

NEF and Thompsons also use a milled process using rifled steel. BPI is only manufacture I know using a extruded cold steel drawing process.

I hope this explains the differences in the barrels and some peoples concerns.