HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Who can shoot this gun with this recoil?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:57 PM
DM

Default RE: Who can shoot this gun with this recoil?

I've shot one several times, it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be...

A guy came by one day with a 460 Wby. and a scope in his hand.. What kind of mounts and rings should i put on this, he says?? I said, "Weaver tip off's"... He figured they didn't look good enough for a Wby.. and off he went. He wanted Redfield or Leupold pivot type.. I told him i'd seen "those" sheer off on high recoiling pistols, but....

A week or so later i was at a gun range and he showed up with his 460 scoped with Redfield rings and mounts.. I looked it over, and handed it back.. On his third shot his scope landed on the cement in fromt of the bench!!!!!! Recoil had sheared the front pivot foot right off!!!

He just about cried!!!! BUT, next time i saw that 460 it had Weaver tip off's on it...

Best part was, he asked me to sight it in for him, and i told him i'd shoot it, but ONLY after i was done regulateing a couple double rifles i was working on!! He got impatient, and started shooting it himself!! Sure glad i didn't screw up his scope for him!!

Yes, these days, the pivot type mounts use pivots on both rings for high recoiling rifles and pistols instead of only on the front ring.

Drilling Man