Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Who can shoot this gun with this recoil? >

Who can shoot this gun with this recoil?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Who can shoot this gun with this recoil?

Old 02-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Who can shoot this gun with this recoil?

If you haven't seen this recoil chart, take a look at the bottom rifle. The 460 Wtby Mag. I has a recoil of 99.6 ft/lbs. Compare that to your standard 30-06 shooting 180 gr. bullets with a recoil of 20.3 ft./lbs. How is it possible to shoot something with this much recoil?[link]http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm[/link]
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Who can shoot this gun with this recoil?

IMO the only reason to shoot the 460 is dangerous game.and anyone using one for that would probably tell you recoil isn't considered when an elephant charges.i've shot a 458 winmag that a friend owns it was in model 70 he had to put a fiberglass stock on it the original stock broke under recoil.i didn't enjoy shooting that rifle at all.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:11 AM

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ you now have to become a member to see the videos do it and you'll see what it's like to shoot one
Old 02-06-2005, 09:36 AM

IMHO the 378 Wtby is worse than the 460 by far. And with a good brake the 460 isn't bad. My wife (125 pounds) and I have shot the 460 a few times and its a handful, but its very manageable. And we've both shot the 50 bmg with a brake a lot.

As mentioned its all subjective to the shooter. I know folks the say my little 44 special is horrible and they amost dropped it with mundane 200 grain lead loads. On the other hand I have a 44 mag 329 smith thats scandium and super light. I've had folks tell me it kicks horribly and others tell me its very easy to shoot. Even with 300 grain bear loads.

The only way you'll know is to just go shoot.

Jeff
Old 02-06-2005, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those are some awesome videos.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:10 PM

wouldn,t ant to do it all day. vangunsmith,but i did once!
Old 02-06-2005, 06:57 PM
DM

I've shot one several times, it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be...

A guy came by one day with a 460 Wby. and a scope in his hand.. What kind of mounts and rings should i put on this, he says?? I said, "Weaver tip off's"... He figured they didn't look good enough for a Wby.. and off he went. He wanted Redfield or Leupold pivot type.. I told him i'd seen "those" sheer off on high recoiling pistols, but....

A week or so later i was at a gun range and he showed up with his 460 scoped with Redfield rings and mounts.. I looked it over, and handed it back.. On his third shot his scope landed on the cement in fromt of the bench!!!!!! Recoil had sheared the front pivot foot right off!!!

He just about cried!!!! BUT, next time i saw that 460 it had Weaver tip off's on it...

Best part was, he asked me to sight it in for him, and i told him i'd shoot it, but ONLY after i was done regulateing a couple double rifles i was working on!! He got impatient, and started shooting it himself!! Sure glad i didn't screw up his scope for him!!

Yes, these days, the pivot type mounts use pivots on both rings for high recoiling rifles and pistols instead of only on the front ring.

Drilling Man
Old 02-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never shot one. 458 is the biggest thing I have shot.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:50 PM

Anyone can shoot it, but no one wants to!!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:41 PM

While I'll agree the .378 is worse, I can't say the .460 ain't bad. I'm not anxious to try the .340 neither. [:'(]

Quick Reply: Who can shoot this gun with this recoil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.