HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ever run into a Tresspasser?
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2005, 09:35 AM
jerseyhunter
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ever run into a Tresspasser?

On my second deer hunt with my father (34yrs ago) I was still hunting on private property. I knew no one was to be there that day cause the men all met in the owner's basement before dawn and discuss the day's events. Anyway while I was sneaking around I spotted a nice 6 pt at what I recall to be about 50 yds. I raised my gun , took precise aim, and BLAM down he went. For a ssplit second I was the happiest kid on earth. Then it dawned on me that I didn't even feel the recoil. The next thing off to my left comes a hunter running up to the deer. I ask him who he was and he tells me some nonsense and said he had permison (sp) to hunt. I asked him the owners name and he told me his last name, I said what's his first name and he didn't know. I told him to take the deer and get out of there cause I was going back to tell the owner. He scramed with my deer. Upon telling the owner his reply was that I should have shot the S%B and kept the deer. Had I known that I would have brought the deer back as I wasn't that innocent back then. I wouldn't have shot at him but at least a warning shot. That would have been my first deer. Had to wait many more years to score. Sorry for rambling but this is how it happened. And how lucky he was.

Ps. The guy must have gotten the name off the posted signs cause he knew the owners first initial and last name. Just like the posted signs said. Heck I was only 14 and met the man only 4 times and I knew just about everything about the old guy. Man I miss the good old days.[&o]