HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - NY Bowhunters proposal
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 PM
BuckAlley
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY Bowhunters proposal

Ah Doughboy you just said the same exact thing on the NYB proposal, except ML for 3wks over 14days. The 3rd Sat. is the Sat. before Thanksgiving. I'm a NYB member, and this isn't the only proposal solution NYB has suggested to the DEC. The whole point of NYB's concern is the DEC seems to think having a ML season in the middle of Oct. is necessary so the deer can calm back down before the Regular season shotgun opener. It really makes no sense. But they expect bowhunters to accept hunting deer after a gun season ends going into the rut! NYB IS NOT against more ML time, as they understand many of their own members also ML hunt. I myself do. But the DEC is trying to sell that Bowhunters are getting more time in the woods. NYB did a 15yr future days of bowhunting and no wknds are gained under their proposal, and gain only 3.3 days in the field over our present system. Also the issue of a doe only ML season, and closing archery was first proposed, but now the DEC has decided to allow bowhunting during that week in those same open DMU's for the 7day ML season. But you must have a DMP in order to hunt those DMU's. But the DEC is cutting back on DMP's in several DMU's. So I don't get not allowing bowhunting in other closed DMU's during the 7day ML season.
We should take a look at the Northern zone as a example here, where I live. Presently the early archery and ML seasons overlap for 7days. I can tell you from experience in my neck of the woods, that the ML season has become a extended early gun season. I stopped trying to bowhunt during those 7days. Hunters are in the woods doing deer drives, and it sounds like a single shot southern tier regular season opener. Its gotten very popular with the modern inlines, especially since scopes were legalized.
In my personal opinion I'd like to see Northern bow open Sept 1st, and Southern bow open Oct. 1st. A 7day muzzleloader season in the Southern tier the wk before the regular season opens. Just like the Northern tier is now. Its working fine in the Northern tier. I know some guys who mainly bowhunt the Southern tier feel Oct. 1st is too early to start. I say nonsense. I love the early season, and hunt Northern & Southern both. I think its easier to pattern a deer coming into the first dropped apples, and acorns of the fall over trying to get a roaming rutting buck into 30yd range. Besides just becasue its opened earlier doesn't mean you have to go out if you don't like to bowhunt that time of yr. Look at other states, several start their early archery seasons Sept 1st, and even late August. I say more bow time, more ML time can easily be accomplished here, and make most everyone happy if it was just done right! Also Doughboy being a bowhunter I'd suggest you speak with NYB people, or join a year to see what this organization is really all about, before knocking fellow bowhunters. They are only looking after our sport of archery, and have alreadly done wonders for it.